From:
Roberto Ortega <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roberto Ortega <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:07:04 -0500

Hello everybody,

I have been very suspicious about corn tortillas, and only very recently I
found a possible source of contamination. A major corn tortilla factory
says
"- Nowdays the corn tortilla requires a tbsp of wheat flour per evry lb of
corn flour in order to give the characteristic elasticity and consistency
required in the traditional hybrid tortilla".

I noticed some differences between the indian tortilla, and the "normal"
tortilla (in other words, non-contaminated vs. probably contaminated).
The pure indian tortilla is brittle, stiff, and somehow rigid. The corn
tortilla can not be stored for more than 2 days (not even in the
refrigerator), it gets spoiled. The indian tortilla is thicker than the
normal, and is bigger.

In my country celiac is very rare, I believe I was among the first
pacients with a positive biopsy test. We do not have GF products or
brands, but on the other hand, the food is very fresh, and very rarely is
contaminated.
Tortillas in mexico are sold in a tortilla factory called "tortilleria",
they are fresh but maybe contaminated, maybe not.

The saftest way to do it is from scratch. I recommend the brand MASECA.
The problem is that is not so easy, it requires some experience in
preparing the dough and preparing the discs. Once you have mastered, the
home made tortillas are the most delicious tortillas in the world.

Let me know if you have had any problems from "factory" corn tortillas.

ROberto.  BCS, MX.