From:
Kathy Slater <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:00:27 -0500

Many thanks to all who informed me that Butterball whole frozen turkeys are gf. There are too many responses to summarize, all were unanimous in their response that the gluten is found in the gravy/basting packet. I did receive one reponse as follows:

  "Butterball told us that they change
ingredients and vendors on their injected broths, so they cannot
really say if they are GF.  We have always paid the extra and bought the
fresh   turkeys. Butterball will guarantee their GF status as nothing is
added to their being. Those fresh birds usually go  on sale at the same
time as the old and frozen ones."

I decided to call Butterball (be prepared for a long wait!) to clarify that the turkey and the injected broth is gluten free. Their response is that that gluten is found only in the gravy packet, the turkey and injected broth are gf. Just to be safe, I might still go ahead and buy a fresh turkey! I am very grateful to all for taking the time to respond.