From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:52:55 -0400

Dear Listmates,

Over the last couple of days I've been in touch with Westfair Foods head
office in Calgary, Alberta. They are part of Loblaws in Canada & also have
the Great Canadian Superstores and Extra Foods. These stores are found
throughout Canada from Thunderbay in the east to Whitehorse in the north.

About 5 or 6 weeks ago, they actually devoted a whole page in their weekly
sales flyer to the gluten free foods they stock (with color photos of the
products!).

I was so impressed that I decided to find out whose idea this was, and this
morning I got my answer. Mr. Paul Wolfe saw that we were a niche market
just waiting to be serviced, and gathered together a number of gf products
like Celimix brand cake, muffin & cookie mixes; pastas, sliced Kingsmill
rice bread (brown & white), bread mixes, and ready to eat cookies. All
these products have been placed together in their own section in each
store. I understand that one of his criteria was that the products were to
be reasonably priced & they are.

Unfortunately, they cannot be reached by e-mail - yet. The phone number I
have to reach Paul Wolfe and his assistant Jennifer Gieni in Calgary is
403-291-7727. They are interested in learning about new products & I have
already forwarded info to them about the Pastato products (via their
internal store courier).

Cudos to Westfair Foods!

Helen in Vancouver, BC