From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:42:55 -0500

I have been told emphatically that there is no such thing as gluten free
wheat. However, there is an oat gf matzah.

quoting: "The London Va'ad has a rabbi who makes a run of GF shmurah OAT
matzah each year. Grown on a dedicated field (in the middle of nowhere), and
lab-tested to verify it's GF, the oats are used to bake matzah in the
same facility where I believe the Va'ad bakes the rest of its shmurah
matzah - the oats are run *first*, on clean equipment. The London
Va'ad has been doing this for several years now. The stuff is pricey
($18/box in Los Angeles) but safe."

The consensus on this matzah though is that it is inedible.
-------------------
Was also given a recipe for potato starch-based matzah:
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/PESACH-matzahballs/Matzah_Crackers_Gluten-
Free_-_pareve.html
------------------

Here is a recipe for home made matzah

I make my own matzah...it's not official, but my non- CD kids actually
prefer it to regular matzah. I also grind up these matzot to make GF matza
balls!

GF Matzo Balls

4 TBSP rendered chicken fat
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup GF "matzo meal" **use my recipe for matzot, then grind and freeze
for later use

3/4 cup dried potato flakes

Directions:

1. Blend eggs and chicken fat (with fork, or with cuisinart)
2. Add dry ingredients, and mix
3. Cover and let sit in fridge for at least 30 minutes
4. Have briskly boiling water ready
5. Roll 1 1/2 inch balls from mixture using wet hands, drop into boiling
water
6. When all balls are in water, use a long spoon to make sure none of the
balls are stuck to the bottom of the pot
7. Cover pot with lid, and cook over medium heat for 35 minutes.
8. Using slotted spoon, transfer balls directly to soup, or to freeze for
later use, transfer to waxpaper lined cookie sheet and freeze until hard,
then transfer into ziplock freezer bags.

Makes about 11 matzo balls. Recipe can be easily doubled or halved.

GF "Matzoh"

I don't know if this is considered "kosher" for the actual seder...

1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup almond meal
pinch salt
2 T olive oil
3T + 1t water

mix all ingredients in bowl -texture should be like playdough - if too dry
add small amount of extra water. Knead into ball and divide into 4 pieces.
Take 1 piece and roll between 2 sheets of parchment paper - roll as thinly
as possible - be patient - dough will tear easily.
Prick dough all over with fork. Score with knife if you want to break into
squares after baking. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-13 minutes, or until
lightly browned. Makes about 4 8-inch round matzot.

try grinding these up after baking to get "matzo meal"