From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:32:16 -0500

Thanks to everyone for sooooooo many good ideas!  It may be hard to believe
(:-) but there were actually people who wanted a summary of what kinds of
help celebrate St. Patrick's Day.    Actually I think most were interested
in the general ideas--not the specific ones for green food.  But here's what
I got:

I'd say 75% of the responses said to make either jello jigglers or  "rice
krispie" bars and add food coloring to the melted marshmallows.  I don't
have any GF rice krispie type cereals on hand and live too far away from a
store to easily get some, but Linda mentioned using GF corn flakes instead
and gave me her recipe:

1/2 cup butter
1 10 oz. package gf marshmallows
1 tsp green food coloring
6 cups gf corn flakes
gf cooking spray

1.  In a lg. saucepan, melt butter on low heat.  Add marshmallows and stir
until melted.  Remove from heat and stir in food coloring.

2.  Add corn flakes and stir until well-coated.

3.  Spread in a well-coated 9x13" glass baking dish and let cool and set
before cutting into squares.

Other suggestions included:

I'm generally anti- sugar but.....what about green jello or jelly beans?
How about grapes or green apples, for a healthier treat? You could decorate
them with raisins and little leprechaun hats or something........

Michelle

**************

 I know you said no veggies but how about fruit.  There are several
"green" fruits and we usually make "critters" for the little ones under
these circustances.  This was true even before cd. Some examples...green
apples, grapes (cut lengthwise of course for this young) even kiwi (you can
use a cookie cutter to make little shamrocks from these but it would be a
bit time consuming).  Here is one idea that we used -hope it helps spark an
idea for you if you don't think this particular one fits.
Critter #1
    Cut a green apple inhalf and scoop out the core with a melon baller or
something.  Place each half skin side up on a plate.  Place one grape,
halved on top toward one side (for eyes) on top of those you can also place
a raisen.  Use small matchstich size celery sticks for legs.
    You can assemble these on your own but I always found that the kids
loved doing it themselves and it really is fairly mess free.  We have made
all sorts of critters from ladybugs, to butterflys, to boats!!  Other items
to use that are fun are small marshmallows, craisens, and carrots sticks.
Good luck to you and enjoy.

Best to you,
Kristi

************

 Marshmallow treats...add greed food coloring to the marshmallow.  For
cereal, use either the Crunch-ems chex-like rice (or corn) cereal,
Malt-O-Meal fruity Bites (assorted color & a bit strange w/ green
marshmallow) or EnviroKids Gorilla munch..

Also, finger jiggles made with white grape, apple, or white cranberry
juice...Color green...Cut w/ a metal shammock cookie cutter if available.

1 can frozen juice concentrate, thawed
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 can water (12 oz.)

Soften gelatin in juice.  Boil the water, and add the juic/gelatin mixture.
Stir til gelatin dissolves.  Remove from heat & pour into a 'pam-ed' 9x13
inch pan.  Chill.  Cut when firm.  Refrigerate in a covered pan. (these will
be about 1/2" thick.)
(My kids favorite were w/ a fish shaped cookie cutter...Orange color, of
course!)

Also found this one in my recipe box...

Pick-Em-Up Pudding shapes
3 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 1/2 c. cold milk
1 3-ish oz. package regular pudding (not instant)--white flavor in this
case...

Soften gelatin in 1 c. milk.  Add remaining milk & pudding mix.  Cook & stir
over medium heat until mixure comes to a full boil.   Pour into a
lightly-greased 9" square pan.  Chill. Cut when firm.  Store in frig, makes
25 squares...
(Based on volume of liquids, this could probably be made in a small 8x11
lasagna type pan.)

Enjoy!

Bev in Milwaukee

**************
You could dye banana skins green for a non-sugary snack!  [:)] You could
probably do the same with mozzarella cheese sticks-- perhaps try a couple
and let them dry in advance...hmmm...

Or Kraft Marshmallows, brushed lightly with green coloring? And decorate
them with, er...peanut butter and M&M's or Skittles-- that sort of thing-
to make little faces?  they might get slimy if you use too much
dye...hmmm...

Green Jello-brand jellow jigglers! with Kraft mini marshmallows! (I'm
craving marshmallows;)

Green Eggs and Ham could be speared on toothpick shish-kabobs and warmed
in the microwave?

Green (Granny Smith) apple slices and peanut butter-- I dont think I'd
want to mix green with the peanut butter

Hope that was semi-helpful *s*
-M