From:
Jutta Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:44:51 -0800

Hi All,

thank you all so very much for your input, I don't know how I would ever
make it without you folks on this list;

I work a lot in my garden and around my horses, my nails have ridges,
peel and split even when cut real short- awful and painful. I get ridges
after a gluten accident and stress, each ridge is an accident or stress;
I don't take my vitamins or calcium regularly, I do get Vit B12
injections however and I eat very balanced with lots of protein; from
the responses below I will try taking  biotin and use nail hardener in
the interim; and I will use vinegar after washing my hands; I can't eat
jello anymore since I overate it when was just diagnosed with Celiac 4
years ago;

most of the 39 responses I received so far say that Knox jello one
serving per day has helped them to strengthen their fingernails;

most also said that their nails grew stronger 3-4 years after going gf

most also said that Calcium and Vit D helps

1 person uses Freeda's Quntabs - M and Freeda's Vit E 400 with success

about 5 stated that cold and dry winter weather worsens the condition

several are using nail hardeners like Nailtek, Nailtique and Hard as
Nails,

one person stated that folic acid helped

one person had an interesting solution found in a gardeners magazine:
garden work and lots of washing hands makes hands "basic" as in the
opposite of acidic, she uses a bit of vinegar after washing her hands to
change the pH and had good success with it;

thanks again and have you all a great Valentine's Day

Butze