From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:03:54 -0600

My daughter sent the following note to Tokyo Joe's, which has 15 locations
in Colorado. http://www.tokyojoes.com/  I would suggest that you ask the
questions again to the person serving you.

 Hi there.  I am a big fan of Tokyo Joe’s, especially the Nikko salad.I am
gluten-intolerant so it is important for me to know what is in the foods
that I eat.  I cannot find any relevant information on your website.

 My particular question is – Do you marinate the chicken that goes in the
Nikko salad, etc?   If so, what is in the marinade?  I have been told that
they are not marinated at all in anything.   I have also been told that they
are marinated in something that includes soy sauce, which unfortunately is
full of wheat (unless it is a special wheat-free soy sauce.  Will you please
clarify this for me.

 I believe that the dressing you use on this salad is fine.  Please confirm
that it also has no soy sauce or other wheat containing ingredients.

Tokyo Joe's response

The only meats marinated with soy sauce are the steak and the shrimp - other
than that you can choose any of our proteins.  The Curry sauce is an option
for you and coming soon is a Gluten-Free version of our Teriyaki Sauce and
Miso Dressing, which are our most popular choices.  Plus we have Gluten Free
Tamari behind the counter, which mixed with the Chili Sauce on the table is
awesome.  You can obviously have the rice and veggies but would want to
avoid the noodles as they are a wheat noodle.

 As far as the sushi menu goes:

Wasabi paste - wasabi powder does not have wheat flour. The
horseradish/mustard mixture is thickened with corn flour.

 The Joes roll DOES contain gluten as the shrimp is marinaded in a soy sauce
mixture before grilling.

 The Eel roll DOES contain gluten as the eel comes glazed with teriyaki
which contains soy sauce.

 The Tuna roll does not contain any soy sauce. The seared tuna is sprinkled
with Schimi pepper spice but does not contain any flour or gluten products.
This spice is made up of: cayenne, paprika, orange peel, sesame seeds and
kelp as well as other spices which are not disclosed on the label only
stating "spices"

Hope this is helpful :)  Have a great day.

 Warmly,

Marci Leith

Vice President of Operations