From:
Liz Bockman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:02:43 EST

Hello Listmates-

Last evening on WGN radio, Dr. Guandalini, Director at the University of
Chicago Celiac Disease Program, was the guest on the 11:00 pm health program.
 The discussion focused on the prevalence of CD, symptoms, testing
(serological) and the treatment.  The broadcast was wonderful because its
presentation was so positive.  Instead of focusing on the pain and suffering
many individuals go through prior to diagnosis. Dr. Guandalini focused on the
simplicity of the blood screening as well as the treatment.  I'm sure for
some Celiac's it may have been disappointing to hear how "simple" the
treatment is (following a gluten free diet for life), but we have to admit it
beats many other forms of treatment.

And if you remember, my last post was regarding my disappointing experience
at University of Chicago Gastroenterology Department.  I am happy to report
this time I can post that it looks like things have taken a turn for the
better.  Thanks to the efforts of Michelle Melin-Rogovin (Celiac Disease
Program Director), I have  received an e-mail from the Gastroenterologist at
UofC letting me know that he is aware of the delayed genetic test results.

On the defense of the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Program, Ms.
Melin-Rogovin included in her e-mail "the University of Chicago Celiac
Disease Program is not part of the University of Chicago Hospitals--we serve
the entire midwest and refer callers to several hospitals. While we can
direct people to physicians at the University, we have no way of addressing
hospital-related concerns."

Because of my previous post, I felt it was important to include this
statement so others wouldn't be discouraged from utilizing their services.

Best of Health to you All