From:
Robert Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 13:18:15 -0400

To me this is a simple issue.  For those suffering celiac symptoms who try
a gluten-free diet, and who then have no symptoms, why go back to the
doctor?  You don't usually go to the doctor if you don't have symptoms!

For example, I know that I am allergic to praline.  I know that I get
typical allergy symptoms when I eat praline, so I choose not to eat praline,
and therefore have no symptoms to see a doctor about.  A biopsy should only
be a concern when a gluten-free diet does not completely work, or where
the syptoms are mild and therefore there is doubt as to the cause, in my
opinion.

And it should be no surprise to anyone that I have not had a biopsy.  I
had the typical symptoms as a kid, as did a sister, and a nephew.  So
when they reoccurred at 40, I suspected celiac.  And a gluten-free diet
got rid of the symptoms.  My doctor admitted that the only purpose that
the biopsy would serve would be to make HIM more comfortable, but that it
would not change my life at all. If it was negative, I was not about to
was positive, so what?  He did have an x-ray done, however, to test for
intestinal cancer.

The bottom line is that if you feel more comfortble with a biopsy, get
one done.  If the gluten-free diet makes you feel better, stick wit it!

Robert J. (Roj) Miller
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Internet: [log in to unmask]