From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:17:27 -0700

Dear Listmates:
Here is a fantastically useful porridge/pudding concoction that keeps well and serves either as a breakfast staple or as the basis for desserts with infinite variations.

Make almond milk by blending a lb of blanched almonds with 4 cups of water.  There is no need to strain the milk.
Wash 1 and 1/2 cups rice:  Sushi rice, arborio rice, mochi rice, or a mixture of these.  In a very large, heavy pot bring to a boil the rice, the almond milk and enough water and/or other milks (coconut for example) to make 12 cups liquid altogether.  Add a vanilla bean, or the seeds from a vanilla bean, or gf vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp salt (to taste) and sweetening to taste (I use Stevia).  Simmer gently for an hour and a half, stirring every 10 minutes or so to be sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.
Will keep for a week plus in the fridge.

To serve, hot or cold:  Add cinnamon, fresh fruit.

Dessert:  Add frozen or fresh fruit and basic sugar/water syrup or a sugar syrup made with lemon or lime juice (lime is my favorite).  The proportions are up to you.  I don't use sugar, preferring to use the fruit juice and stevia, thickened with arrowroot or cornstarch and water.  The syrup keeps in the refrigerator.  Blend.
Shave chocolate over it.

You may experiment (as I do) with freezing it, being sure to stir it every 1/2 hour or so to keep it from becoming a rock.  It is best eaten when semi-frozen.  But I found that once it had reached the right consistency it would keep just fine in the fridge.

This has become my ice cream substitute.  I am told it is an acquired taste, but it didn't take me long to acquire the taste.

I have frozen all kinds of sliced seasonal fruit this summer, planning ahead for fall and winter desserts.

Nancy in nyc