From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:40:17 -0500

Watched Food TV show this morning and saw "The Willows Raised Apple Pancake." Got inspired and concocted a gluten-free version that is different enough to be our own. Tried it for brunch. Really good. To get their version, go to Foodtv.com. They rate it as difficult to make. Nah.
You serve only ONE pancake, sliced for 4-6 people. It fluffs up to about an inch high. (The tv show claimed theirs was 2 inches, but it didn't look that high on tv.)

My version:
Read the recipe through before starting. This can be cooked on the stove or in the oven. If using oven method, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups peeled, shredded apple (one very large or 2 medium), 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (any nuts) and 1 tbs. sugar.
In another bowl, mix 1 cup gf flour, 2 tsps baking powder, pinch salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg.
Separate 3 large eggs.
With a wisk, beat egg yolks till foamy and wisk in 1/2 cup milk.
Whip egg whites until soft peaks. Optional....Just before done, beat in 1 tbs sugar to whites.
Stir flour mixture into apples. GENTLY mix in the yolk mixture. Then, even more carefully, fold in the whites.

Melt butter in a large, non-stick fry pan. If cooking pancake in the oven, you'll need one that is ovenproof or you can use an ovenproof, large, pie-shaped baking pan.

Pour batter carefully (don't deflate) into pan. Springle on cinnamon and maybe more nuts.

Choice of ways to cook:

I cooked it in fying pan on the stove, and when the pancake set (takes maybe 10 minutes) and the bottom was brown (peak underneath carefully), I slid it onto a large plate,  flipped it to another large platter and slid back into pan to brown the other side. This probably deflates it a bit.
On the tv show, they put the whole pan in the over and baked for 20 minutes.

Slice into pie wedges. Serves 4. (They say 6). On tv, they served it with choices of pancake syrups. I found it sweet enough and cinnamon-y enough that no syrup was needed.

For those of you into healthier versions, you can use brown rice flour, bean flours, etc. (I use Bette Hagman's standard gf flour mix.). This also seems like a recipe that lends itself to having flax seeds tossed in, if that's your thing. During the summer, I plan to try this with blueberries.

Lin