From:
Jennifer & Russ Gowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:29:42 -0500

Who said anything about labeling or marketing oats as a "Gluten-Free"
product? Geepers, ya gotta ask the companies that question the right
way..... We don't want "Gluten-Free" oats, we want "Uncontaminated"
oats, or "pure" oats, or even oats that are "free from cross-
contamination from other grains." They don't HAVE to be labeled "Gluten-Free."

If they label the oats in an innocuous, lovely, legalese way, then they
can't be sued if some super-sensitive individual gets sick, because thay
haven't claimed the product is gluten-free, merely that it is "pure"
oats, with no other grains contaminating it..... and has anyone ever
tried to grow oats at home in their own garden? That would be a fun,
4-H/Junior Gardener experiment.......

And on the issue of cross-contamination, I opened a brand new 5-lb bag
of blue lentils, and, hello, what is THAT?!?! In 2/3cup of lentils,
there were 11 WHOLE wheat berries. So there is some cross contamination
for you!!!!! If anyone is interested in the brand, etc, let me know.

JenG