From:
"Mara E. Levin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:30:42 EDT

Expressions of sadness over loss of friendship and other difficulties due to
dietary restrictions are appropriate for us to discuss, in my opinion.

For one example, it would require much strength and grace for one person to
approach another and say, "I don't want to exclude you from my social circle,
but I'm struggling with the challenge of preparing food safe for you, and I'm
not sure I would feel comfortable if you brought your own food when I am
entertaining." You may argue that there are many good ways to deal with this
situation, but, truthfully, many people will choose to avoid it. That, in
itself, does not make them bad people.

While most of us may not be dealing with life-threatening symptoms, we will
all have hard times. Let's continue to validate and support listmates feeling
blue.

Mara Levin