Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:44:35 -0600

Here is my summary on canola oil in three parts.

Summary #1) established viewpoints on the GF status of canola oil
Summary #2) some interesting test results
Summary #3) anecdotal replies

Aside from being accused of "industrial sabotage" most responses were
interesting and helpful.
("This sounds like industrial sabotage. And you are helping it along. So
now a lot of paranoid people will stop buying Canadian Canola Oil.
Especially since you mention Alberta canola fields.")

My reply: "I am only asking the question: Has anyone tested canola oil
for gluten?
- I really don't think there are enough of us paranoid people to make a
significant difference in total canola oil consumption. And what if
there is gluten in the canola oil? Is it better to hide that information
in order to protect the canola industry?"

Janice.

--------------------------

Summary #1) established viewpoints on the GF status of canola oil

-------------------------

- The authors of Gluten-Free Living magazine and the Canola Council of
Canada declare that canola is safe and gluten-free.

- From the book, Gluten Free Diet - A Comprehensive Resource Guide by
Shelley Case;
Canola oil is oilseed and does not contain gluten. The crushing and
processing stage also remove the protein found in canola oil. In
general, pure oils are non-allergenic as they do not contain protein.
All pure vegetable, nut, seed, and fish oils are allowed in the
wheat-free (gluten free) diet.

- And, the following text is from an article published in The Sprue-nik
Pres, Volume 9, Number 1 January 2000, Tri-County Celiac Sprue Support
Group, a chapter of CSA/USA, Inc. serving southeastern Michigan, called
Tips for Celiacs, by Ann Whelan.

Accept that there are very few absolutes and very many points of
disagreement about what is and is not GF or what is and is not
appropriate for celiacs. We know with certainty that the things we
should not eat are wheat, barley, rye, oats, spelt, triticale and kamut.
The next thing we need to find out is where those grains actually are,
not necessarily where they might be. We should have a basic diet we can
rely on before we waste valuable time and effort looking for needles in
haystacks. In her research Ann has discovered that a lot of the things
we celiacs believe but have never checked out are not necessarily true
in the real world. Misinformation takes hold in the celiac community and
then we are left trying to disprove something that should never have
been proposed in the first place. In other words, we are left trying to
prove a negative.

For example, research shows that canola oil is GF, so it should be
appropriate for any celiac except those with a special sensitivity to
it. Since it is GF, any sensitivities to canola oil can't be gluten
problems. But it has been publicized that canola oil is not appropriate
for any celiac, so everyone (especially food vendors) has been forced to
decide what to do about this product, which actually happens to be a
"healthy" oil. Canola oil did not belong on any list of products that
all celiacs should avoid in the first place. Celiacs need to make their
own judgements and realize that no one can tell them what they cannot
eat without explaining and/or proving that it is dangerous. You have to
do the best you can with the diet, but try to stay away from any
gluten-fearing paranoia that exists. Try to know your sources and the
reasons why you should be avoiding something.

These examples are all based on "research" but none actually gives the
source of the research (except perhaps the article in Gluten-Free Living
magazine but I do not have a copy).

Is this research based on the "theory" that the difference in grain size
between wheat and canola prevents any cross-contamination of the crop
before/during processing, or is the theory based on ELISA food testing
of canola oil samples ?

I do not have the answer.

Janice.