From:
Linda Ireland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Ireland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:40:32 -0700

Hi, Folks!

I just discovered a new book over the weekend, actually a new resource.
It is a book by two writers from the UK, Antoinette Savill and Dawn
Hamilton, called Lose Wheat, Lose Weight, the new allergy-free diet plan
with 60 easy recipes.

The authors discuss omitting wheat as a dietary choice for a lot of
different health reasons, amongst which they also discuss celiac
disease. But they are talking about wheat (and other food) intolerances
and how they affect the general population, for weight management as
well as other health issues. They do flag in their recipes things like
soy sauce that may have minuscule amounts of wheat that might be OK for
the average wheat-avoider, but not for someone who is wheat-allergic or
celiac. Frankly, I was pleased to find the book, because I have a lot of
friends who would never even consider going gluten-free, even though I
have long thought it might be beneficial to their health. Since the book
is presented as a weight-loss aid, I figure I may get their attention
long enough to have them make an attempt. A lot of this dovetails with
the Atkins and other low-carbohydrate diets, the paleo diets, etc. I
don't profess to know what will work for everyone, but since they're
finding connections between celiac and diabetes, etc., I have been
urging a couple of diabetic friends to just TRY being GF for a couple of
weeks, to see if they notice any difference. Maybe it won't help, but
I'm frustrated that they won't even try, when they're happy to try
making gallons of cabbage soup and eating nothing but that and
grapefruit for days on end (hey! that's a GF diet, too, isn't it?!)

Antoinette Savill has also written The Sensitive Gourmet, More from the
Sensitive Gourmet, Allergy-free cooking for Kids, Super Energy Detox,
and The Gluten, Wheat, and Dairy-free Cookbook. Since I'm always trying
to find recipes that are dairy-free as well, I plan to check a few of
them out. By the way, I did notice that the US title of a couple of the
books was slightly changed from the UK edition. One of the nice things
in the book is that all the measurements are done in both metric and our
method (the weirdo 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon, 16 tablespoons to a cup,
whoever thought this one up, and what do we call it anyway? method).
Also Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures, etc.

They have a website with some interesting things on it, recipes, links,
etc., www.wheatwatchers.com. <http://www.wheatwatchers.com./>  Check it
out!

Linda Ireland, Seattle