From:
Pam Newbury <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Newbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2018 13:48:13 -0800

Don't think I'll be going to see the new Universal Studio's grinch movie.
Let's just say they've spoiled my taste for it with their ad campaign that
encourages people to poison those with CD. Check out their billboard with a
picture of the grinch saying "I put gluten in your smoothie." I had so hoped
we were past this.

For a look at the ad (and the gluten dude's letter to John Wees, head of
Universal Studio's ad department), search "grinch ad campaign gluten".

Why this bothers me:

Puts the health of those on a gluten-free diet at risk by trivializing the
importance of a gluten-free diet. Makes people think it is funny to poison
people with gluten.

Legitimatizes the mindset of those who think view this serious health issue
as overblown, silly, and frivolous.

Adds to the impression that people on a gluten-free diet are just picky
eaters who are unreasonably fussy about their diet.

Makes people, especially youth, embarrassed to say they are on a GFD.

Whether on a gluten-free diet by medical necessity or by choice, everyone
has a right for their dietary choices to be respected, not ridiculed.

Endangers the health of those on GFD. Children who see this ad may decide
it's funny to try putting gluten in the food of someone on a GFD, not
understanding the health risks.

More insidious is the effect it has on young people who are going out in the
world and trying to maintain a GFD. It's hard enough already for them to be
cool, but when their diet is insulted nation-wide on billboards, think how
much harder that makes it for them to speak up for their needs in public
when requesting GF meals. I know. I raised two celiac kids.

Below is the "Medical Diet Bill of Rights" that I developed a while ago in
response to some other incidents like this. I think we need to start
insisting on these rights for all who follow medical diets for any reason.
We shouldn't just roll over and say, "it's all in fun, don't get so riled
up".

Pam Newbury

Santa Cruz, CA

The Medical Diet Bill of Rights

1.	I have the right to eat only those foods that are healthy for me.
2.	I have the right to expect clear, truthful, and accurate information
about food from manufacturers and the hospitality industry.
3.	I have the right to ask questions as needed and take any action
necessary to maintain the integrity of my diet.
4.	I have the right to respect, acceptance, and understanding of my
dietary needs.
5.	I have the right to follow my diet with dignity and without dispute,
harassment, or ridicule.