From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 19:50:32 -0500

At 10:34 PM 2/4/96 UT, Danna Korn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Ugh...someone wrote that hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) is MSG.

All HVP contains at least some MSG, generally 10-40%.

>                                                                     He then
>said that it was, therefore, NOT gluten-free.  I KNOW HVP is a no-no.  But the
>rest of his statements brings two questions to mind:  (1)  is HVP really MSG?
>(2)  Is MSG gluten-containing?

As far as I know MSG is made from sugar beets or soy. If imported, the base
ingredient could be different, but I have never heard of it being from a
gluten grain.

>  I know people say they do better without it,
>but my understanding was that MSG is NOT gluten-containing.  Help!   I haven't
>been avoiding it in my son's diet...am I poisoning him with gluten
>inadvertently?

MSG (and aspartame/Nutrasweet) can cross the blood brain barrier in
pre-puberty children. It is not recommended that it be fed to them. To see
more about this you can check out Mark Gold's <[log in to unmask]> web site:

 http://www.tiac.net/users/mgold/health.html

He will also mail anything from it if one doesn't have web access.

Don Wiss.