Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2014 21:25:59 -0600

Hi All~~

GF food has a tendency to taste a bit blah...at least in my house. I'm not
very creative when it comes to "spicing up" dishes without a recipe. I'm
trying to get better, but came across an issue re: spices from America's
Test Kitchens (ATK) and I'm hoping someone on this list can clarify the
specifics for me.

There are, apparently, spices (and herbs?) that release their flavor when
used with water and others require oil or fat to release their flavor. ATK
was grilling blade steaks. The first dry rub of spices used was simply salt
and pepper. ATK then ground their own spices of peppers, coriander, and
other spices I can't recall. When those were rubbed on the steak, they made
the comment that those spices required oil to release their flavor and
sprayed both sides of the steaks with a cooking spray after the spices were
rubbed into the surface of the meat. (I've never seen THAT done!)

Does anyone know which spices require oil to become flavorful, and those
that dissolve or work better in water? I've run into a few dishes in which
I use certain spices and wonder why I can't taste them - usually in soups
or rubs on chicken.

Thanks, so much, for sharing any information anyone might have re: this
issue. I'm thinking there should be a web site outlining the info, but I've
used as many searches as I can come up with, to no avail. I will gladly
summarize if I receive responses.

Cheers~~Ayn in Kansas