From:
Susan Lahti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:32:36 -0700

I got a lot of responses (about 25) and all of them agreed (I'm sure its a
first) that whey has nothing to do with gluten.  Someone pointed out that
maybe I confused them cuz whey and wheat both start with wh.  Oh well, it
seems as if there are so many forbidden ingredients it is such a surprise to
have someone tell me something is okay!

Several people mentioned the Little Miss Muffet rhyme-Little Miss Muffet sat
on her tuffet eating her curds and whey.

Two people had recently called Taco Bell and said that the nacho supreme
minus the beef is definetely gf.

And I decided to forward one cuz it made me laugh out loud.

>When milk is curdled with rennet to make cheese, the lumpy parts are the
>curds, and the watery part left is the whey.  To make cheese, the whey is
>strained out and the curds are salted, pressed, colored, flavored and aged
>in various interesting ways.  The whey is drunk by the cheesmakers, or fed
>to cattle, or sold to Taco Bell, it appears.

Susan