From:
"Karen H. Shirley" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen H. Shirley
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:48:47 -0700

Thanks to everyone who responded. I am going to try to keep the summary fairly short as most of the response included the same general pointers.

Generally, folks indicated that fiber is something that you need to be aware of on a gluten free diet and have to watch to ensure you get enough of it. Below I have summarized specific suggestions for getting more fiber.  Several comments indicated that they do better get small doses from a diverse array of foods, particularly fruits, vegetable and nuts verse adding additional fiber to the grains/carbs they consume.  Also choosing when possible commercial brands with brown rice, buckwheat, amarath, millet or quinoa instead of white rice or tapicoa.  I do think that some education of the companies that produce GF items may be needed in terms of them adding nutritional value instead of focusing solely on taste.

I did get one response indicating that before adding more fiber you should consult with you GI/nutritionist because fiber can be hard on celiacs and other individuals with gastro-intestinal problems and you need to know whether you need insoluable or soluable fiber.

I also got a yummy chocolate cake recipe that uses beans if anyone would like me share that.

Number One Suggestion:
Flax Seed (ground - can but it at the grocery store)
Basic information can  be found on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax
If you google cooking with flax seed you will also get a lot of helpful sites.  For the amount of carbs, it has a lot of fiber and very low sugar so great for diabetics too. It also has Omega 3s.   I still am a bit unclear on how it may change flavor and consistency in baked goods (seem you can use it as subsitute for egg and it should have a "nutty" flavor -- guess this one is a try it ans see)

Number Two:
Shaklee nutritional supplements  (folks said ask for their Gluten free list - most used their fiber plan?)

Nuts and seeds, like sunflower seeds

Fruits like pears, peaches, apples or raspberries (a few folks also stated that eating the "peels" is important to get the fiber)

Wild rice

Peanut butter and other nut butters

Refried beans (add some into ground meats and sauces - makes it richer most said but if just a tablespoon or two doesn't affect flavor much)

add pureed vegetables or legumes to baked goods (pumpkine and beans were the tops suggestions but also peas)

Popcorn and cornmeal

oat and oatmeal, if you can tolerate it

glucomannan, mixed with psyllium

Salba (Chia) seeds or ground (good information on this one at www.salba.com)

Inulin (an extract of chicory)

Jarrow Gentle Fibers from www.Vitacost.com .(has soluable and insolubale fiber?)

Coconut

Metamusil (didn't confirm this is gluten free but commenters said they have taken for years without problems)

Fiber capsules

For a nice list of high fiber foods: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/nu00582