From:
Kimberlee Tandy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kimberlee Tandy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:26:20 -0600

Whew!  There are some people out there who are really passionate about these issues!

Topic #1:  Genetic testing

Most people responded that genetic testing is not going to help in this situation other than to tell us if our child has the markers or not.

Many people said the tests have not been perfected and show low reliability and validity at this time.

Others pointed out that it would be best to wait and do a gluten trial later, after the child is anywhere from 6 months to three years old.  The variety of ideas here was messy with everyone saying something different.

Topic #2:  Breastfeeding and gluten ingestion

Many people have strong feelings about this one!  Yikes.  Some people said that if I wanted to avoid the whole thing altogether I could just bottle feed!

There are two sides to this issue and the evidence is NOT clear as far as I can tell at the moment.

One side says that there is no possible way that gluten gets through the breastmilk (for various reasons).  Therefore, eating gluten should not be a problem.

The other side says that there is growing research showing that gluten indeed does pass into the breastmilk and therefore mothers of children with the possibility of getting celiac disease should stick to a gluten free diet while they are nursing.

I finally called CSA and they told me that they recommend that I not only stick to a gluten free diet while nursing, but that I abstain from gluten for the last two months of my pregnancy.  Interesting!

They are kindly sending me journal articles to read so I can make a decision myself, but at this point, my plan is this:  It is better to be safe than sorry.  I will not eat gluten for the last two months of my pregnancy or while I am nursing.  We will get the genetic test done at birth.  That way, if there are NO genetic markers for celiac disease, we can make adjustments to the plan.  Beyond that, I will have to read further and see what research shows down the line.  I know what celiac does to kids, having worked through the mess with my daughter.  I am simply trying to avoid putting this child (and us!) through that ordeal again.

Thank you to those of you who responded with kind words and helpful advice.  I have made a couple of new friends via this and am grateful for that!

Thanks to CSA who patiently listened and answered all my questions to the best of their ability and are providing me with information to read, so I can make an informed decision.

God bless you and have a nice, gluten-free day.

Kimberlee in Nebraska