From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:36:59 -0500

Here are 2 recipes that my kids both LOVE - and that, I think, would appeal
to everyone - GF or not.  I will tell you what they are, and if you do not
have these cookbooks, just email me and I"ll send you the recipes.

Apple Bundt Coffee Cake, from Bette Hagman's The Gluten-Free Gourmet (page
220)  This is SOOO good - I made it for my family on Christmas, and it was
gone by the end of the day after.  You'd probably need to make it ahead,
since it cooks for 40 minutes, but the kids would love eating it.

Carrot-Pumpkin Muffins, from Shelley Case's Gluten-Free Diet - A
Comprehensive Resource Guide (page 68).
This is excellent, although it only calls for rice flour, potato starch and
tapioca starch for the flour mix.  But is has eggs and egg whites (fun for
kids to do), and applesauce, and cooked pureed carrots or crushed pineapple,
and lots of opportunity for the kids to add interesting ingredients.  And
the muffins only cook for 15-20 minutes.  My kids love these.

I also make a Chex mix using GF corn and rice squares, and GF pretzels - I
use the standard Chex Mix recipe and make it in the microwave, and it takes
about 10 minutes total.  then you let it cool in a pan.

I also make "crunchy croutons" out of a millet bread (actually I use the hot
dog buns) made by DeLand Bakery (you can order online)... on the other hand,
someone recently challenged the GF status of their products... but we use
them all the time.  I cut the bread into cubes, and toss with some olive oil
and a bit of salt, then toast at 325 for 20 minutes.  Then I just leave them
in the oven to crisp up.  You would have to do those ahead of time.  They
are terrific, and last forever.  My daughter (8) takes them to school for
snack (while everyone else has goldfish or cheez-its).

Finally, have you tried Gorilla Munch?  (a GF cereal)  My son likes a snack
mix made from Gorilla Munch (or Puffins), GF pretzels (Glutino makes them),
and marshmallows - you could also add chocolate chips, raisins, and
sometimes we add GF corn squares instead of the sweet cereal so it is not so
sweet.  The kids could measure out cups of these items and make snack mix
right then and there, and eat it while they bake something else.

Hope you have success!  I'd love to hear how it goes, Joy!  And please let
me know if you need any of these recipes.  I'd be happy to shoot them off to
you.
***************
i use Betty hagman's flour mix for most baked goods.
GF flour mix:
6 cups white rice flour
2 cups potato starch (NOT the same as potato flour)
1 cup tapioca starch (also called tapioca flour)

it is exchangable 1:1 wiht wheat flour. you do need to use xanthum gum
i am attaching 2 documents of recipes from our group parties.  i would be
interested in you results since we do have a group of kids and i think a
cooking demo would be fun. hope it helps
Pat

these are From St john’s list serve, I haven't tried them but they look fun, too

Thin Mint Cookies
40 round-shaped Crackers (unflavored)
1/2 C. Chocolate Chips (use semi-sweet for slightly less carbs; use milk
chocolate type for sweeter version)
10 drops gluten-free Mint or Peppermint extract
1/6 stick paraffin (wax found in grocery canning section)

1.  Melt chocolate chips and paraffin together in microwave, stirring
occasionally to blend.
2.  Add drops of mint extract.  Stir.
3.  Dip cracker into melted chocolate (using small tongs or fingers) to
coat.   It may be necessary to reheat chocolate/paraffin mixture
periodically as it begins to harden.  Remove coated cracker to wax paper for
drying.
4.  Store in refrigerator to prevent melting or store at room temp if desired
Approx. 10 gm. Carbohydrate each.

Peanut Butter Patties (tastes just like the Girl Scouts version)

40 round-shaped Crackers (unflavored)
1/2 C. Chocolate Chips (use semi-sweet for slightly less carbs; use milk
chocolate type for sweeter version)
1/2 C. Peanut Butter

1/6 stick paraffin (wax found in grocery canning section)

1.  Melt chocolate chips and paraffin together in microwave, stirring
occasionally to blend.

2.  Spread light amount of peanut butter onto top of each cracker.

3.  Dip peanut butter-cracker into melted chocolate (using small tongs or
fingers) to coat.   It may be necessary to reheat chocolate/paraffin mixture
periodically as it begins to harden.  Remove coated cracker to wax paper for
drying.

4.  Store in refrigerator to prevent melting or store at room temp if
desired.

For Gluten-Free brands, I use Bi-Aglut snack crackers, Hershey or Baker's
chocolate chips, and Skippy or Jiff peanut butter.

Note: for variation, add flaked coconut into peanut butter for spread.
(Baker's brand is gluten-free.)  Approximately 10 gm. Carbohydrate each.
*****************
 We make this brownie recipe with sweet rice flour and what ever other
flours I feel like throwing in. It comes out great and is well liked in my
son's class:

Melt in glass bowl in microwave:
1/2c shortening (I use butter or soy margarine)
Add
1c sugar
5T cocoa
1/2t salt (optional)
Stir in
2 eggs
1t vanilla
Add 3/4c flour.
Mix all together. Bake in 8" square pan (or9" for flatter brownies) at 350
degrees for 30 min.

I make lots of things with recipe as a base.  It works well as cupcakes too.
*****************
   Would you consider providing an extra "ready-made" gf treat in addition
to the "everyday" food demonstration, eg muffins or bread.  I recently
served flourless orange cake with melted gf chocolate topping to non-gf
guests. They raved about it. Kids love it too. I found the recipe on the
back of a 250 gram packet of ground almonds (the main ingredient). I tossed
the packet but am  fairly clear on the ingredients. It's very rich but
delicious and indistinguishable from bakery treats.

 Grease a springform pan flan carefully. Gently simmer two whole oranges (I
used organic since the whole lot goes in the cake) with a cup or so of
water. When they are soft, let cool, cut into quarters and remove pips as
much as possible. Process in blender or processor. Set aside.

Beat six eggs until light and fluffy. Slowly add half to three quarters of a
cup of sugar then add three tablespoons of the flour of your choice and the
orange mixture. I baked at 180 for 20 minutes or so until it springs up to
the touch and comes away from the sides. I let it cool for 10 minutes then
removed the sides of the pan. Later I melted a packet of good quality
dairy/gluten free chocolate and spread it all over. I decorated it with a
few lemon blossoms (not having orange).
Everyone loves this cake! Hope this is helpful...
***************
I have attached a file for a White Texas Sheet Cake that cooks in 20
minutes and you make the frosting while it bakes so that the whole thing is
ready to eat in under an hour.  This cake has never lasted long around our
house and no one has ever mentioned that they could tell the difference.  I
do use Betty Hagman's Four flour bean mix, but you could figure out how
much of each flour was needed to make the mix for just one cake so the kids
could see how the flours are blended to make a mix which then could be
converted into cake, cookies, muffins, bread, or whatever.  The other nice
thing about this recipe is that it was a wheat-based recipe that I adapted
which can show the students how you can make your favorite recipes gluten
free.  Might be an interesting challenge for the students to come up with
their favorite recipe and see if it could be adapted to being GF.  Just a
thought (yes, I teach so I'm always thinking of opportunities to challenge
students.....)

Good luck with the project.
White Texas Sheet Cake
(adapted from a Taste of Home)

Cake:
1 cup butter
1 cup water
2 cups GF flour mix (Hagman’s Four Flour Bean Mix)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs beaten
_ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon GF almond extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
_ teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons xanthan gum

Frosting:
_ cup butter
_ cup milk
4 _ cups confectioners sugar
_ teaspoon almond extract
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

In a large saucepan, bring butter and water to a boil.  Remove from heat;
wisk in remaining cake ingredients until smooth.  Pour into greased 15 x 10
x 1 inch baking pan (jelly roll pan).

Bake at 375 deg F. for 20-22 minutes or until cake is golden brown and tests
done.  Cool for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, for frosting, combine milk and butter in a medium saucepan and
bring to a boil.  Remove from heat.  Add sugar and almond extract.  Mix
well.  Add walnuts.  Spread over warm cake.