From:
Jeff Golden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 20:20:11 -0400

Michele asked this List if a gluten-free restaurant exists anywhere in the
world.

Yes, a gluten-free restaurant exists in San Francisco (providing you tell
them to use their Bragg's Liquid Amino sauce instead of regular soy in those
dishes that use soy sauce). With that provision, everything on the menu is
gluten-free, as far as we and the owners can tell.

If you live near or travel to the San Francisco area you might find it useful
to know that these places exist here:

1)  A pizzeria that serves a great gluten-free hot pizza with  your favorite
toppings, but with a polenta crust;

2)  A popular brunch cafe featuring gluten-free gourmet blueberry pancakes
(made from rice flour);

3) A very creative and critically praised restaurant that's free of both
wheat and dairy and where Celiacs can eat EVERYTHING on the menu;

4)  A luxurious Bed-and-Breakfast Inn where the price of an overnight stay
includes a romantic three-course gluten-free breakfast by candlelight;

5) Chinese restaurants where you can enjoy thick noodle soups, and where the
chefs will gladly cook anything you want with your own gluten-free soy,
hoisin and plum sauces (and we'll tell you where to find those sauces);

6)  Lots of fine restaurants with succulent gluten-free roast chickens (or
lamb), potatoes and vegetables, seafood and other high-quality items.

You can get details in the Gluten-Free Restaurant Guide to the San Francisco
Bay Area*, an ongoing project by members of our local Celiac Sprue support
group, now available as a working draft. This work-in-progress contains
fairly complete reviews of gluten-free eating at more than 60 San Francisco
Bay Area restaurants (plus information on more than 40 others that we are
still investigating). Although some listings are for specialty items such as
ice cream or pastries, most are places where you can enjoy a great meal --
often at surprisingly low prices.

To receive a copy, we ask people either to help us with the research work or
contribute $15 or $20 to help defray the sizable costs of this project. For
more details contact Jeff Golden at [log in to unmask]

Please note our lawyer's DISCLAIMER that we make no guarantees about the
gluten-free status of anything; that there is always the possibility of
error, change in staff or ownership, cross-contamination and changes in
ingredients over time, and that you should consider our opinions and then
check things out yourself to make your own decisions.

* Copyright 1997 by Jeffrey Golden.  Guide not to be reproduced, in whole or
in part, without permission.