Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 17:12:49 -0500

>gluten-free. I also predict that we (celiacs) will never achieve any
>labeling laws regarding the gluten-free status of foods until we (the
>celiac community), can agree on what is safe and what is not.

No, sorry, have to disagree a wee bit here ... The labelling laws
[if I were president, eheheheh] *should* force manufacturers
to list, for example, what durn type of vinegar they use ...
and what type of food starch ... and so on ... That's half the battle
right now, all the unknowns and, my personal favorite
[a la seltzer]  the catchall "other natural ingredients."

Well, duh, wheat is just plain as natural as you can get ...

So I think that instead of squabbling over quinoa good/quinoa bad ...
we should require companies to precisely identify each and every
ingredient and let us celiacs then decide on our own.  As it currently
is, the celiac community and our loved ones are embarking on the
Great Silent Boycott  .... simply not buying products that have
vague ingredients.

Tracey in Connecticut   GF lodging:  http://www.innseekers.com/feature.htm