From:
Laura Vogel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:32:13 -0400

I received the following messages regarding whether or not regular and decaf
coffee and tea are gluten free:

(1) In general, be cautious about flavored coffees and flavored or herbal
teas. MOST herbal teas and flavored coffees are actually GF, but you have to
check.

(2) I've been told that there's a possibility of decaf coffees having gluten
but I've never found one. All the major brands I've ever checked have been
GF.

(3) Most of the major brands are listed at
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start.  The usual culprit in those is
roasted barley.  Celestial Seasoning has said that gluten in their products
will be labeled.

(4) I have no problems with Folgers decaffeinated coffee.

(5) Lipton has assured us they are totally gf.

(6) Decaf coffee and tea are NOT GF.  Green tea is GF and regular tea is GF.
Regular coffee is GF and instant Maxwell House is GF.

(7) Response from Celestial Seasonings:

Thank you for taking the time to send us an e-mail.

Persons that have reactions to gluten should avoid consuming any wheat,
barley, oats or rye.  In addition, some of our current.  Celestial
Seasonings' products contain roasted barley, roasted barley malt, crystal
malt, and caramel malt. These ingredients are always listed on the label.
Teas currently in production that have a gluten containing ingredient
include the following:

Almond Sunset
Canadian Vanilla Maple Decaf
Detox A.M.
Echinacea
English Toffee
Gingerbread Spice
Ginseng Energy
Roastaroma
Sugar Plum Spice
Vanilla Hazelnut

As we update our packaging all other products will be identified as being
gluten free.

Service.  Try it FREE for one month!   http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup