From:
"J. Rackley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 08:44:34 -0700

Thank you for all your information.   Malt-O-Meal's Corn Bursts cereal
looks like a Kellogg's Corn Pops (US version) clone and appears GF on
the ingredient listing.

I called the company, and they confirmed GF status.  Puffed Rice is
entirely GF and is manufactured on a dedicated line.  Corn Bursts is run
on a nondedicated line, however, 1) they strive to clean the machinery
thoroughly between runs, and 2) the other cereal run on that line is corn
flakes, in which the malt is the only non-gf ingredient.  In my opinion,
this is better than a run which alternates wheat and corn.  However, the
representative cautioned me that accidents do happen, so cross contamination
is possible.

The representative said they were expanding into international markets.
A list member in Toronto said they bought these, which is nice since Kellogg's
Corn Pops has a different recipe in Canada.  I recommended they continue
to expand into Canada, since they will be a unique product there (you might
check to see if it is in your stores already -- if not ask for it.)

To reach Malt-O-Meal, call:

Malt-O-Meal Co.
701 W. 5th St., P.O. Box 180
Northfield, MN  55057-0180
(507)645-6681, Fax: (507)645-5819
(800) 743-3029

Comments from the list:

Three reported eating them with no difficulties. One person was told
that they were GF when she was first diagnosed.

According to the October 1996 edition of the Tri-County Shopping Guide,
Malt-O-Meal Corn Bursts are O.K.  I have not tried them though.

Jenny Rackley
Woodinville, WA