From:
Beth Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:14:16 -0500

Thanks to everyone who answered my quesiton about Breakstone's cottage
cheese.  I am summarizing because I think this brand needs to be listed
in the archives, as there seems to be some confusion about it.
13 people responded to this.

3 said that Breakstones is gf...one is very sensitive, and does not react
to this product.  Also, someone said that in the US, Modified food starch
cannot be wheat. (doesn't this only apply to "starch"?)
Everyone else said no. Many people have gotten ill from this product.
Some other reasons....  The company (here we go with Kraft again) has no
plans to check for gluten in this product;  Breakstones has mono-and di-
glycerides, which are a source of gluten.  (Note - I did not realize
this...??)

Some brands for those who are looking:
Finast brand (store brand)
Cabot's
Horizon Organic
Melody Farms
Kroger
Friendship
PennMaid
Thanks again.  Think I will be giving the 2 containers that I bought to
the non-celiacs in the house for now!