Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:02:54 -0500

To my fellow Celiacs:

Below is an email I received asking for my contributions to an article concerning Celiac college freshmen and the ADA.  I have replied with a narrative detailing my experiences with "dorm living" during my undergraduate years.  I will forward my reply, as well as those of my parents, to the listserv. I would also like to open this up to those of you who have had Celiac children in college or been a Celiac in college yourself.  Hopefully, if enough of us describe the challenges of Celiac disease and public eating situations, we can make the situation better for future Celiacs in college!

Best wishes,
Jessica Mahood

Research Assistant
Howard Hughes Teaching Fellow
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology
University of Wisconsin-Madison

Hello Ms. Mahood,

I am writing an article for Thompson Publishing Group's ADA compliance
newsletter.  The topic is whether certain disabilities warrant a student at
a university to be allowed to live off-campus, even if, for example, the
student is a freshman and it is university policy that freshman must live on
campus.

One of the topics specifically is Celiac Disease, as a student at a
university was requesting to live off-campus because of the dietary
restrictions, despite the school's policy that ALL student's must live on
campus.

I came across your name in an article as I was doing a search of Celiac
Disease and off-campus housing.  I was wondering if you had any thoughts on
the subject?  Is living off campus when you have the disease merely a huge
convenience, or is it an absolute necessity?  From what I've found, schools
must accommodate the disease through through their dining services, so
off-campus living would be easier, but is not absolutely essential.  I would
love to have your perspective to use in my story, since you are someone who
dealt with that firsthand.

If you have time, shoot me an e-mail back, or call me at 202/739-9549.

Thank you, and take care!

Sincerely,
Theresa MacDonald
Editorial Assistant