From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:12:37 -0800

We haven't gone on our trip yet.  If I see anything new, I'll let you know.  Here's the summary of responses.  Thanks again to all for your help.

Happy Thanksgiving.  Sidona/San Diego

1)      I travel to a town called Bedford.  Close by I think to where you are going.  It is called healthy approach market, right next door to an Albertson Food Store  (like an L)  Health food store is the bottom of the L address is 5100 state hwy. 121 Colleyville, TX 76034.  817 399-9100  Good Luck,  I am not sure if they have fresh baked bread, I had never taken notice.  I bake my own. When I visit the Dallas area, I always stop there and stock up. Their prices are great and they have lots of gluten free products. Even loose flours, etc. I just purchased $100. worth of glutano products.  To me they are the best.

2)      If you click on this link, you will be taken to the DFW Celiac Support Group.  There is some information about restaurants.

http://dfwceliac.org/html/restaurants_and_grocery__.html

We have the typical array of chain restaurants that have GF menus including Boston Market, Outback Steakhouse, Mimi's Cafe, Chipolte's Mexican Grill, PF Changs, McDonalds, Wendy's and Don Pablos Mexican Cafe.

3)      I am not familiar with restaurants in the McKinney area, but there  are several Outbacks in the area.  If you go to http://www.lonestarceliac.org,  you will find a listing of restaurants that have had safe meals in the past.

I went to a place called The Classic Cafe last evening for dinner and
had a wonderful meal, but it is quite a ways away from McKinney.

      4)  I don't live in McKinney, but it is just 10 - 15 minutes away from Plano, where I do live.  There is no place that bakes fresh gf bread in the DFW area that             I know of, although you can get Food for Life breads in the freezer section at Whole Foods, which is a health food store in the area.  If you're willing to             drive for about an hour, there is a health food store in Colleyville, near the DFW airport, which has readymade frozen Kinnikinnick breads, donuts, and                 bagels.   In fact, depending on when your flight comes in, you may want to stop there before you head out to McKinney. As far as restaurants go, we                 tend to stick to the tried and true such as Outback Steakhouse and PF Chang's.  I don't know where those are in MckInney, but the closest Outback I                 can think of is at HWY 121 and Preston Rd in Frisco.  PF Chang's is located at the Toll Road and Frankford, which would be about 20-30minutes from             Mckinney downtown.  There is a Mimi's Cafe at McDermott and Central Expressway (I75), and they are very accomodating.  My husband has had                     baked potatoes and plain grilled salmon or roast chicken.  If you're willing to drive for a bit, there is a Greek restaurant in Plano called Zorbas, at the                     corner of Preston and Plano Parkway.  The food is inexpensive and wonderful, and they are very accomodating.  The roast chicken, greek potatoes,             greek salad is fabulous and safe.  Just ask them not to put any bread on the plate.  There is a restaurant (very pricey!!!!!) called III Forks, at the Tollway             and Frankford in North Dallas, which is wonderful if you like steak.

     5)        Try www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a guide with 50 national/regional restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free menu items.

6)      Go to www.outback.com (Outback Steakhouses).  They have an update gluten free menu and a location map.  I have eaten at Outback Steakhouses all over this country with no adverse effects.  I go to the local one once a week (my treat).  Print the menu, take it with you, and ---------ask for the manager-------.If you will notice at the bottom of the gluten free menu, the Gluten Intolerance Group is working with them on the gluten free menu, and I think we should patronize them whenever possible.  Perhaps there will be one close to where you will be.

            I live in N. Dallas and I'm currently the Pres of a large support group here.  We have several restaurants, stores and tips on our web
            site.www.dfwceliac.org you can check out.  I know about a great restaurant in  Plano, near McKinney, off of Hwy 75N (better known as Central                     Expressway) and 15th that has a gluten free menu available.  It's called the Outback Steakhouse and our group went there for an dinner and had a
            wonderful GF  meal.  We even ordered dessert!  Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay in McKinney - a nice place!  Be sure and visit the Town Square
            there!  Lots of  wonderful shops and history.