Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:32:45 -0500

Dear list mates,

Thanks to all who responded to my request for Tampa area info. I only received a few responses and I'll share what I've learned:

1) Publix Grocery (which is the best here) has a few items.  Possibly a cold cereal.   Your best bet is Chuck's Health Food Market.  The one I go to is in Brandon on Kings Rd.  They carry Glutino Corn Bread, Amy Frozen Meals, Mrs. Leeper's Chicken Alfredo, Tuna Noodle, Beef Lasagna and Cheeseburger Mac.  (These are like Hamburger Helper)  They are also very good with a salad and would be a quick meal while on vacation.  They have cookies and snack food too.

Now for the restaurants, there are many Outback Restaurants here, since the chain was started here in Tampa.  As you know, you can ask for the Celiac Menu at any Outback.  Also owned by the same company is a new restaurant called the Bonefish Grill.  Wonderful seafood.  I had grilled shrimp with sea scallops with mango chutney.  It was wonderful.  If you are bringing kids, the Grill would be a little pricey, but still a great place to eat.  There are lots of Mexican restaurants in the area too.

2)  Hi:  Go to www.outback.com , www.carrabbas.com , www.bonefishgrill.com .
They are all owned by Outback Steakhouse which is headquartered in Tampa.
They all have gluten free menus, for children also, and location maps on
their web sites.  Print a copy of the menu, take it with you, and ----ASK
FOR THE MANAGER-------.  I have eaten at all these restaurants with no
adverse effects.  Perhaps there will be one near where you will be.  Good
luck.

2) Bone Fish Grill (chain) in St. Pete on 4th Street has an awesome gf menu.

A couple of other non-celiac related comments that I wanted to include since other mentioned wanting me to summarize:

1) Every highway in the Tampa area is under construction!  It will take you extra time to go anywhere.

2) I can't help you but GO YANKEES!  (Loved this comment :)

After I return if a discover anything worth reporting on to the celiac community, I will. Thanks again!

Joyce from
New Jersey