Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2014 21:29:28 -0400

A week or two ago, I wrote about Applebees putting their crispy red
potatoes in the fryer, but calling them GF.   I learned that many  people had
issues with them.  One person told me that the oil is strained  at night and
reused the next day.  UGH!   I really do not know of  any restaurants with
dedicated fryers for us celiacs.

So....the next issue is Red Lobster:

They did not have a GF menu, per se, but rather a listing of allergens for
their foods, including a column for gluten.

The manager did take from this list and put together an easy-to-read menu
for us to choose from.

Each of us were given the allergen list plus the menu made up by the
manager.

On the GF menu, crispy red potatoes and French Fries were listed as  GF.
What I also noted on the allergen list was a column for "fried",  and there
again was listed the fries and potatoes.

When I asked the server if this oil was "shared", she said yes.    I
explained that they were probably no longer GF.  At that point she  brought the
manager out.

Explaining this to the manager was difficult.  She insisted they were  GF
because "they were on the list" as such.   I told her that in their  natural
state, they probably are GF, but what they do with them determines the
outcome.   In a shared fryer, they are no longer GF.   I  tried really hard to
explain that a lot of people really do not understand the  GF diet inside and
out, and that this was a learning experience for  her.

She told me many people order the fries and don't seem to have any problems
 with them.   How would she really know??    Some don't  react until later
on, or even the next day.

As with most restaurants, they take this oil at closing time and strain it
for use the next day.   Wow, just think what residue might still be in
this oil.   Scares me!

Then the manager suggested that we probably could not eat anything in this
restaurant.  I had visions of 12 of us having to leave.   She  said
anything on the grill would be "sharing" space.   I asked her if  she could scrape
the grill clean and she said yes.   That was all we  asked.

I just want to warn everyone to be careful.  Just because the  fries are
listed as GF, be extra careful and ask what else is in that oil.   Unless it
is 100% dedicated, stay away from them.

Better yet....just never order fries in a restaurant!   Then you  will be
safe.

Just a word to the wise.

Thanks,
Bev