Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 19:03:19 +0200

Dear list members,
sice we are talking a lot about restaurants, I wanted to tell you something about the Eating Out Project of the Italian Coeliac Society. I think it is a great thing, and I am not aware of a similar project in other countries. It would be great if it could spread everywhere.
I translate for you some parts of the website, since it is in Italian.
http://www.celiachia.it/ristoratori/

"The Eating Out Project originated from the necessity of the Italian Coeliac Society to create a chain of restaurants aware about coeliac disease that can offer a suitable service for the needs of coeliacs.

To the project belong:

Restaurants/Pizzerias/Hotels

Ice Cream Shops

Bed & Breakfast

Being part of the chain means:
 * to have participated to a course organized by the Italian Coeliac Society about coeliac disease and gluten free nutrition
 * to receive information material from the Society
 * to permit periodical controls by the regional Coeliac Society
 * to use gluten free products approved by the Ministry of Health and/or inserted in the food list of the Italian Coeliac Society
 * to guarantee that the food is not contaminated by gluten from the preparation to the service to the table"

A lot of restaurants participate. If you click on "Ristoranti e Pizzerie" on the left menu, you'll find a list of the Italian regions with the number of restaurants. For instance: 84 in Tuscany, 46 in Sicily, 105 in Apuly...
The participants are all independent restaurants.

There is also a telephone service you can call to find out which gf restaurant is closer to you. The web page is in English, too:
http://www.celiachia.it/ristoratori/892424en.asp

Since I live in Germany, I miss this project a lot. I would be glad, if someone could tell me if a similar project is carried out in other countries. That could influence my decision, where to spend my holidays .... ;-)

Regards
Maria Paola

--

*******