From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:31:42 -0800

At 04:04 PM 1/26/02 -0500, Jack and Phyllis Maines wrote:

>Connection between excercise and depression is the neurotransmitter,
>serotonin.  Serotonin is supplied to the body when the muscles excercize
>and it is also supplied to the body by the anti-depressant medications
>which are called serotonin re-uptake inhibitors.  How it resolves
>depression is not clear.

Recent studies, as reported in a recent NewsWeek, indicate that the SRIs
actually tend to "heal" the faulty neurotransmitters in the brain, leading
to a permanent cure for depression for some. Makes me wonder if perhaps the
exercise tends to heal in the same way only more sure and quicker.

I'm convinced the statistics for the SRIs would be far better IF the
docs knew what "endogenic" depression is. All the SRI drugs I've seen
state clearly that they are ONLY for endogenic depression. But many
psuychiatrists, as well as an even higher proportion of MDs, tend to
prescribe these drugs for situational depressions without regard to the
instructions. And often prescribe these drugs without the necessary
counseling to accompany them. Most studies indicate that the counseling
is almost as important as the drug, in conjunction.

The beauty of exercise is that it's cheaper, with no bad side effects, you
don't have to "beg" a doc for it, and it's equally good for depressing
situations and/or endogenic depression. -vance