From:
Julianne Karow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:04:21 -0400

I was actually surprised that I did not get more responses, but am grateful to the ones that did respond.  There is one person on her way to Cancun today and will email me when she returns and I will post. Those that responded were VERY helpful with all of my questions.  Here are the responses...

(1) Be aware that they may put flour in the mashed potatoes. Ask about that before you eat them.
 Also, white corn tortillas are wonderful!

 (2)  I have been to Cancun twice and Riveria Maya once.  We stayed at the Barcelo in Riveria Maya which is a 5 star, the Flamingo in Cancun which is a 4 star, and the Westin which was not all inclusive.  Both Barcelo and Flamingo were very accommodating.  I took my restaurant card in Spanish and spoke with the dining room host/hostess on at my first meal, they went straight to the

chef.  The chef would come out at every meal and go down the buffet line and tell me what I could eat and what I could not eat.  They also offered to make special items for me.

I am a very sensitive celiac and I react from the smallest amount of gluten. I had a wonderful experience at both places with little to no reactions.  I did react twice but I think it was the eggs.  I stayed away from the eggs and did not have any further problems.

I do have to say the 5 star (Barcelo) had a much larger buffet with many more options.  They also had the reservation restaurants which were exceptionally accommodating.  They made pan fried fries for my son.  The 4 star (Flamingo) had a much smaller buffet and therefore fewer gf options.

I love Mexico it is a very easy place to eat as their staple food is corn. The resorts do try to Americanize their food which limits the gf options. We went out to many local restaurants and always had very helpful accommodating service.  We learned to stay away from the American

restaurants like Senior Frogs and Hard Rock Café (there are a few more I can't remember their names) they have very little gf and they are very expensive.  The little local places had better food and more gf options for very reasonable prices.

Martha in Milwaukee

(3)  This is the letter from the resort regarding our question on accommodating diets:

First of all, I would like to thank you on behalf of the hotel Management and the IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts chain for choosing IBEROSTAR Paraiso Lindo & Paraiso Maya Hotels for your clients` next vacations in Mexico.

With respect to food allergies, please contact the concierge in your building upon arrival.  Our concierge staff will be more than happy to assist you in preparing a letter in Spanish regarding allergy concerns. This letter can be presented to the restaurant staff to ensure that the
meals are prepared accordingly.

For guests staying at Iberostar Playa Paraiso Lindo, dinner reservations can be made at the following seven a-la-carte restaurants: El Rancho Steakhouse, La Marina Seafood, La Laguna Italian, La Pagoda Chinese, Jambalaya Cajun, El Hashiru Japanese, El Museo French Gourmet.  El Fogón, international buffet, does not require a dinner reservation.  Long pants are required for
gentlemen (18 and over) all a-la-carte restaurants

Guests staying at Iberostar Playa Paraiso Maya have two exclusive a-la-carte restaurants: La Geisha Japanese and L`Etoile French Gourmet.  Please note that the French gourmet restaurants are for adults and children over the age of 12 years.

Guests can made dinner reservations with the concierge in their building upon arrival.  Dinner reservations can only be made in advance for a group of 8 or more people. For groups larger than 25 persons, a fixed dinner menu will be required.

I am going to the royal resorts in both cancun and playa del carmin end of this month. I have asked what I should bring and I think a brief note about GF, a spanish english translator (good for hard words), and I should be fine. Not much different than dining in US.

(4)  This will be my first time overseas. I am not that sensitive, but I can tell after I have had some small meals.

I can give you a report when I return. Could you pass on to me what you find out?