From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:12:37 -0400

This message contains info about restaurants in the Portland area.

I asked for recommendations for restaurants and food stores near
Portland, Augusta, Brunswick, Lewiston-Auburn.  Whoa did you guys come
through with recommendations.  The response was incredible!!  I’m
breaking this into several messages to keep each message at a manageable
length.

THANK YOU to everyone who replied.

Dawn @ the Jersey Shore

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PORTLAND AREA RESTAURANTS
Governor's Restaurant
435 Elm St.
Biddeford, ME 04005-4113
(207)282-2992
Comments: ”will prepare a special gluten free order.  The chef was very
nice and said he cooks special orders all the time for people with
various allergies.   The wait staff is very friendly and caring.  I
wouldn't recommend the Governors in South Portland because I don't think
the food is as good or the wait staff as caring."

Local 188
188 State St
Portland, ME 04101
American
No Smoking
(207) 761-7909
Comments: ” ... there's a place my husband and I absolutely love.  It's
a small restaurant in downtown Portland called "Local 188."  They do
Spanish tapas (hors d'oevres) and small main dishes that are INCREDIBLE
and you can do it completely wheat-free.  They have great paellas
(rice-based main dishes with lots of seafood & meat, etc.), also some
nice little tapas dishes like sautéed field mushrooms, or mussels, or
salads, or cooked veggies.  We usually order a paella to split, and then
have all these little tapas with it, and a nice glass of white Sangria.
They have a delicious flan for dessert.  We were introduced to this
place by friends who take their Parisian friends there when they visit
the U.S., and these French food connoisseurs are crazy about it.  The
decor is humble, but it's definitely FINE DINING (and not real
expensive)."

O'Naturals
83 Exchange Street
Portland, ME 04101
phone: 207.321.2050
Comments:  "O’Naturals has opened at 83 Exchange Street in Portland
(just above the Middle Street intersection, across from Tommy’s Park, in
the old Parker Reidy’s Restaurant location).  A wheat-free menu is
available, but you will have to ask about other ingredients to determine
if they are gluten-free.  You may bring in your own bread.  This
establishment is eager to expand their wheat-free (gluten-free?) menu
options and wants you to let them know how to serve you better.  Their
original cafe is located in the Shops at Falmouth Village, 240 US Route
1, Falmouth. (this establishment also has a new cafe located in Acton,
MA - see their website at www.onaturals.com - this company sees itself
as the next nationwide fast food "natural food" chain - and they seem
receptive to developing a gf menu!)."

Outback Steakhouse
147 Western Avenue
South Portland, ME
Phone:  (207) 761-4400
(near Young's Furniture, not too far away from the Maine Mall)
Comments:  "In cooperation with the Gluten Intolerance Group*, they
provide a gluten free menu!  To print a copy from their website, go to:
http://www.outbacksteakhouse.com/menu/ Scroll to the last paragraph, and
click on "click for more information". You will need Adobe Acrobat
Reader software to view and print the gluten-free menu.  It is strongly
suggested that you bring your copy of the menu with you to the
restaurant.  Some Outback locations have gluten-free menus available on
site, but our local members have reported that the one in South Portland
does not.
*NOTE:  The Gluten Intolerance Group of North America developed this
menu in accordance with the American Dietetic Association Guidelines.
Its major difference with the CSA/USA guidelines is that it includes
distilled vinegar (except malt vinegar) in the diet, and includes
quinoa, amaranth, teff, buckwheat and millet as suitable. These dietary
guidelines are endorsed by Gluten Intolerance Group of North America and
the Celiac Disease Foundation."

Romeo's Pizza
201 Us Route 1
Scarborough, ME 04074-9048
(207) 883-8883
Comments: ”It is a family type restaurant where you order from the
counter and then sit down and eat.   It is a very clean restaurant.
They have the usual array of Italian food.  However, we brought with us
a gluten free pizza shell and they fixed it just perfectly.  I checked
the label on their pizza sauce and talked with the manager.   They told
me they do this all the time and that one family with a little boy
actually leaves the pizza shells in their freezer with his name on it.
They invited us to do the same.  The restaurant was aware of our needs
and were very helpful."

Margaritas Mexican Restaurant
11 Brown St
Portland, ME 04101-3934
(207) 774-9398
Comments: ”in downtown Portland took the time to go over ingredients in
their food to help me find something I could eat when I called ahead.”

Michaela's
18 Monument Square
Portland, ME 04101
(207) 780-1818
Comments:  "A phone call to Michaela's restaurant in downtown Portland
will allow you to
specifically talk to the chef and he will see that you get a gluten free
meal. Michaela's is a little more expensive but is certainly a fine
dining experience."

Romano's Macaroni Grill
415 Philbrook Ave.
South Portland, ME 04106
Italian
No Smoking
(207) 772-5656
Comments: "Just had supper last night at the Macaroni Grill, and yes,
they prepared my rice pasta for me!  The only thing I'd do next time is
tell them that rice pasta takes a bit longer to cook than wheat.  My
pasta was just a tad too "al dente" for my taste, but the sauce they put
on it, along with peppers and sausages, was absolutely delicious.  All
you need do is call ahead and tell them you're coming, and then hand the
pasta over to the waiter.  We thanked the manager profusely!!!"

Village Cafe
112 Newbury St
Portland, ME 04101
Italian
No Smoking
(207) 772-5320
Email: [log in to unmask]
Comments:  "I eat lunch there once a week and they have plain grilled
chicken, steak, a weekly roast special (omitting gravy and stuffing) as
well as seafood (for those who like it).  Their mashed potatoes are home
made and are your basic potato, milk and butter.  My one caveat is that
I'm not the most assertive about asking about "clean" cooking surfaces,
although broiled seafood usually comes in its own casserole, with only
butter and paprika as seasoning."