From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 20:53:01 -0400

Susan Carmack posted (anonymously written):

>I have no *scientific* proof that Parkinson's disease is related to celiac
>disease: but, I do wonder if this is possible; i.e. if the damage done by a
>gluten intolerance to an area of the brain, as opposed to the intestine, is
>irreversible.

For this study:

Hadjivassilou et. al. "Does cryptic gluten sensitivity play a part in
neurological illness?" _The Lancet_ 1996; 347: 369-371.

The press release included:

They found that 57 percent of those with neurological problems of
unknown cause also had antibodies to gliadin, which is a component of
gluten. Sixteen percent of them had coeliac disease, a much higher level
than normally found.
Five percent with diagnosed disorders such as Parkinson's disease had
the antibodies, while 12 percent of a group of healthy controls had
them, they reported in the Lancet medical journal.

Now, if you read it carefully, you will see that fewer Parkinson's patients
had elevated antibodies than the healthy controls. So it doesn't appear
that there is any connection between gluten and Parkinson's.

Don.