From:
Jill Tongen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 17:53:09 -0700

Here's some wonderful recipes/info for beef jerky that I received from
members. Thanks to all of you.

Jill/Texas

PRE-PACKAGED:

1.  We called Trail's Best  (www.huiskenmeats.com) about their Smoked
Beef Steak Stick.  They said it is gluten-free. Ingredients are water,
salt, corn syrup, sugar, MSG, spices, hydrolyzed soy protein,
flavorings, sodium nitrate. Susan

2.  I got a letter back from Hormel with a link to their website and it
lists all their gluten-free products (their pepperoni is!).  I believe
their Jerky is, but I haven't seen it in the stores. "You may also be
interested in taking a look at our other gluten-free products.  A list
can be found under Frequently Asked Questions on www.hormel.com." Jill
Cincinnati, OH

3.  there is a gf beef jerkey..... call frito lay and ask them for the
gf list and on the list there is a beef jerkey listed.  the number for
frito lay is on the back of their packaging .  hope this helps
Tiffanie

OTHER SOURCES TO CHECK:

1.  Check www.paleofood.com/jerky.htm for recipes and www.paleodiet.com
for dehydrators for making the jerky.  Jerky is a popular item on some
of the Paleolithic diets.

2.  I have collected recipes here: http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/jerky.
txt And some pictures of making it here, but mostly of pemmican making
(which I get into more detail elsewhere).
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u8126&a905716 Don.

RECIPES: (no cookbooks listed - peoples own made up recipes)
1.  I make my own jerky - there isn't much of a recipe. To slice meat
thinly more easily - partially freeze.  I prefer to slice cross the
grain for an easier to chew jerky. If you get the "stir fry" prepared
meat in the grocery store, it is often fairly tender and ready to go.
But costs more. You need about 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pound of meat,
and something acid - I use rice vinegar because I can't use soy sauce or
tomato sauce or other things.  Then season to whatever  you like.  I use
garlic, onion powder, sometime oregano.  You could do a southwest
seasoning - or Greek or Indian or....About 1/4 cup of liquid per pound
of meat - enough to get everything wet.  Then marinate overnight or 6
hours. Then - put it in your dryer.  I use the American Harvest
"Snackmaster Pro" and like it a lot. Dry until there are no longer any
soft spots in the meat.  Time varies according to thickness of meat, air
temperature, humidity, etc. I store it in the freezer until it is time
to be used.  I use it for backpacking or travel. I searched on the web
for some basic guidelines and found some at state extension offices.
Most food dehydrators have a recipe of some kind, but use lots more
spices than I use.  The salt, acid and liquid to marinate are the real
basics. cbh/montana

2.  I make beef jerky with flank steak.  I cut it crosswise in narrow
strips. This is easier if the meat is nearly frozen.Then marinate it in
gf soy sauce mixed about half and half with water or beef broth.After a
few hours I put it on cake racks to dry than into my convection oven on
low heat (150 degrees or so) for about 8 hours.   You have to let it dry
very slowly or it will cook and come apart.  When it is really dry but
not yet brittle store it in tight glass jars and it will last for
weeks.  (Mine never did.) The stuff is very forgiving so experiment a
bit. Enjoy, Jessie

3.  My brother is a deer hunter.  He always makes venison jerky.  He
doesn't have celiac, but I asked him for his recipe for jerky and here
it is below.  You can substitute the soy sauce with gf soy sauce.
Ingredients: Beef roast, venison, or whatever Soy Sauce Liquid Smoke
Worcestershire Sauce Garlic powder Hot Shot (or any other brand of
blended dry red & black pepper) Any thing else you might want to try.
Occasionally I use Teriyaki sauce.

1.  Remove all fat and slice meat at an angle across the grain in 1/8 in
slices (fat doesn't dry out)

2.  Sprinkle the sauces in the bottom of a pan or glass dish

3.  Sprinkle dry ingredients

4.  Place a single layer of meat over the ingredients

5.  Sprinkle sauces and dry ingredients on top of meat (Like it hotter?
Use more Hot Shot.)

6.  Repeat steps 4 - 5 until all meat is used

7.  Cover and set in the refrigerator overnight (at least 12 hours) 8a.
If you have a dehydrator, place the meat in single layers and cook
according to the instructions, or highest setting for around 3 or 4
hours or until done 8b.  If using an oven, cover the bottom of the oven
with aluminum foil.  Using a toothpick pierced through one end of the
meat, hang it between the bars on the rack, making sure the meat is
suspended and not touching anything.  Cook on a low setting, 150-200
degrees for 3 - 4 hours or until done.  Use a wooden spoon to prop open
the door of the oven to allow moisture to escape.

9.  Doneness check:  Check periodically.  The jerky should bend like a
tree branch with out breaking. It tends to dry out more once it's
removed so don't overcook.

The key is to marinate the meat.  Use whatever you desire, but the
liquid smoke gives it the smoked flavor.  Try hotter peppers or a little
pepper sauce if you want it hotter.  Lay off of the Hot Shot if you want
it milder.  I mix my wet ingredients together before I use them, it
makes it easier.  Avoid tomato based sauces as it doesn't dry as well.
I love the dehydrator.  They are relatively cheap and can also be used
for drying fruits for snacks. Good luck, Sidona