From:
"J.V. Rich" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J.V. Rich
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:09:46 -0700

I received replies from four persons in response to my request for
information about Little Rock, Arkansas and Mountain Home, Arkansas. I
appreciate the responses.  The Central Arkansas GIG website (referenced
below) was also very helpful, providing information about local stores
and Outback Steakhouse restaurants, and their phone numbers.  I think
we will probably call and see how much food we can buy locally before
we head out to Mt. Home in order to have more room in our suitcases.

This is only the third trip we have taken since our daughter was
diagnosed and will be the longest (6 days!).  I will also be cooking an
Xmas dinner in my father-in-law’s not-celiac-friendly kitchen.  Pretty
scary!

Jackie in AZ

Summary of responses:

There is a small restaurant in western LR called Lillie's Dim Sum.  It
has a separate menu labeled "celiac friendly".  Their food is Asian and
wonderful.  There is also a good-sized market with a fairly good stock
of gf foods.  For directions it probably would be easiest to call when
you get there if you don't know the area.

**********************
There are some local resources that can be found at our GIG website
www.centralarkansasgig.org  The two grocery stores are Wild Oats and
Drug Emporium. DE carries Kinnikinnick products among other things.
These stores are about a mile from each other.

I don't eat out much. There is Outback and I have had safe meals there
but don't expect the wait people to know about cross contamination.

I have heard that two restaurants Jasmine's and Goucho's both have GF
foods and that the owner understands GF. I have not talked with the
owner and have not eaten there yet. These restaurants are in the same
building.  For Jasmine's go to
http://www.google.com/
local?hl=en&lr=&q=jasmine%27s&near=Little+Rock,+AR&oi=locald&radius=0.0&
latlng=34746388,-92289444,12321832690341442677
for Gaucho's -
http://www.google.com/
local?q=gaucho%27s&hl=en&lr=&near=Little+Rock,+AR&radius=0&latlng=347463
88,-92289444,15956527702272077851   If you want I will forward your
message to our support group members.

I am in Arkansas, and most of my gluten free products I find at Kroger.
They have a large selection of Amy's products, and some other gluten
free
items as well.