From:
Brigitte T Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 14:05:54 -0400

When I was in Australia last year, my grandfather cut this article out of
the paper for me:
<Transcribed from the "Herald-Sun", March 27, 1997>

                        RELIEF FROM GLUTEN ILLS

        People who become ill after eating certain grains may soon be able
to take a supplement to prevent sickness.

        Melbourne biochemist Hugh Cornell is developing a digestive
supplement which people with coeliac disease can take before and after
eating food containing wheat and other cereals.
        These people have gluten-intolerance, meaning foods such as bread,
cake, biscuits or pasta can prompt abdominal discomfort, diarrhoea and
possibly vomiting and malnutrition.
        Dr. Cornell's 27-year research into the disease has revealed an
enzyme deficiency may be responsible and he is developing an enzyme
supplement.
        But he said the supplement was not meant to be taken all the time
but only when sufferers mistakenly ate gluten.
-HELEN CARTER

Doesn't really tell us much that we don't already know, does it? Just
thought I'd pass it along, in light of certain postings to the list this
week. I haven't heard anything further about Dr. Cornell's research, but
I'd certainly be interested to know if any Ozzie celiacs have.

Brigitte Clarke
Calgary, AB