From:
iluvcab2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:20:13 -0600

I wrote to Senator Olympia Snowe back in August regarding "hidden gluten" in
manufactured products. I received an immediate confirmation of the receipt
of my letter and just today received a more detailed response. It appears
her office forwarded my letter to the Department of Health and Human
Services in Rockville MD. They sent a detailed letter which referred to not
only ingredients that are present at low levels as part of the products
ingredients, but also to potential inadvertent introduction of an allergenic
ingredient during processing. They mention that, according to FDA's
regulation 21CFR 101.100(a) "when a substance is placed on equipment during
processing, that substance is considered a processing aid and, and if it is
present at an insignificant level and serves no technical or functional
effect in the finished food, is exempt from ingredient labeling". Evidently
the Food and Drug Administration Center for food Safety and Applied
Nutrition (CFSAN)asks manufacturers, through a "Notice to Manufacturers"
regarding "Label Declaration of Allergenic Substances in Foods" to
voluntarily provide a statement of all possible allergens but not all
manufucturers comply. They go further to state that "it is unlikely that an
allergen present in a food can be present at an insignificant level because
some allergenic substances can cause serious allergic responses in some
individuals upon ingestion of very small amounts of this substance.
According to the letter, "CFSAN is currently reviewing a petition that
raises concerns similar to those of ...... We have forwarded your
correspondence to the docket for this matter to be included in the record.
Please be assured that we will consider all comments before making a final
decisioon on this issue."

PLEASE consider writing your senator(s), conressmen, or CFSAN directly.
SENATE:
http://www.senate.gov/contacting/index.cfm
CONGRESS:
http://www.loc.gov/global/legislative/email.html