From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:32:21 -0500

What's interesting about it is that the statements about how the diet
is being over-marketed come from "Suzy Badaracco, president of
Culinary Tides, a company that forecasts food trends." However, those
who have positive things to say about the diet are primarily
dieticians. It's even worse in the third to last paragraph which
references dieticians having concerns about poor nutrition on the
diet- there, the last sentence quotes Badaracco again. So, is it
dieticians who don't approve or people who monitor food trends? And,
why are those food trend forecasters being quoted as though they have
some sort of medical expertise to impart? (I could go on and on about
the problems with this article.)

In short, the piece has some correct information, but it's hardly
thorough enough to be truly informative for someone who has no
knowledge of the diet. And, the contradictory way in which it was
written is misleading and would probably confuse someone who's new to
the diet for whatever reason they've decided to try it. This is the
perfect article for those folks who refuse to "believe" in celiac
disease and just want the rest of us to stop complaining, give up this
fad diet, and eat the gluten we're served.

---

well, going gluten free is both unhealthy and healthy. If you need to
be gf, it beats dying of colon cancer and the other things that
happens to us 'real' celiacs. but, at the same time, it IS low in
nutrition. So, yes, we do need to make sure we get nutrition. But that
is the point...

---

Don't worry about this. I've gotten that vibe before, when people
think I am restricting my diet as an option. Lots of people do it!
(think of most vegans...) We know what we are doing and why.

I would just ignore it. It is true -- some people are on the diet for
(little or) no reason. Go figure.

---

I guess we can expect some blowback. Happens every time a new diet
trend comes out: "Changing your diet can be dangerous!". Nevermind
that the average American diet is really, really, really bad from a
health standpoint. I love it when the vet tells me "be sure not to
feed your dog people food!". It's pretty bad when our diet isn't good
enough for a dog! It's not even good enough for a pig: people food
makes pigs sick.

The obvious response though is that NO ONE stays on ANY diet for a
huge length of time unless there is some worthwhile difference. The
research right now is indicating that something like 5 out of 6 people
have gut changes when they
eat gluten ... they don't get "celiac" but they do have problems. When
that sort of research hits the press,
more and more people will just start avoiding the stuff. Shoot, Paul
Newman started avoiding it in the 70s!

Gluten is a mild toxin, but it also has druglike effects, and no one
really wants to hear that they might have to give it up. Remember how
much resistance there was to the idea that cigarettes might cause
cancer? When doctors and nurses smoked in the hospital? And how silly
the idea was that cigarette smokers might have to do it outside the
office?

*******
*******