From:
Brian & Tami Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 07:50:24 -0700

To all those who are patiently reading these posts and responding with
your wisdom:

I have DEFINITELY searched the archives on this subject....and seem to
get more overwhelmed and panicked.  I'm so confused anymore.

Your interpretation of my results would greatly be appreciated.  Here
are my quick facts:

~February 2001:~ blood tests:  Everything normal, except the IgG which
was "STRONGLY POSITIVE" positive blood test led to endoscopy endoscopy
performed: Dr. came instantly out of the procedure room and reported
seeing evidence of sprue and flattening of the folds in two areas.  She
told my family to get me to a dietician and immediately start a gluten-
free diet.  She took biopsies.

Biopsies came back NEGATIVE for Celiac Sprue.  Biopsies were sent off to
the Univ. of WA for a second opinion, again, came back NEGATIVE.

I ate gluten-free for 2.5 months.  I did not feel this "miraculous"
recovery.  I did notice, however,  that my stomach cramping was
definitely less severe.  I still have diarrhea.  AND since the the
endoscopy, I'm a nervous wreck, they think I'm having panic
attacks/anxiety.  The day after the endoscopy, I landed in the E.R.  I
don't do very well with anesthesia...even when they use very little.

For the last month or so, I've been on the tiniest dose of anti-
depressants to help with this anxiety....feels like I have a chemical
imbalance or something.  I could swear that Paxil was making me sick, so
now I'm on Celexa.  We'll see.

ANYHOW, I just had my blood taken again after eating gluten-free for 2.5
months.  All tests came back normal except the IgG came back "WEAKLY
POSITIVE" instead of "STRONGLY POSITIVE" like before.  The IgA one
always comes back just fine.  When I've done research on these tests,
I've read that only a positive IgG is less likely to be Celiac Sprue,
but still can be!  HOW CONFUSING IS THAT?  I'm so frustrated.

To rule out other possibilities, I've asked about Crohn's Disease and
Colitis.  (Am I borrowing trouble?)  So, the Dr. is ordering me to have
a small bowel follow through.  Have any of you ever had one of these?  I
think they are also known as an Upper GI.  I believe you have to drink
16 oz. of barium.  Isn't that a lot?  I get nauseated thinking about it.
 For those of you that have had this test, were you eating gluten-free
at the time?

The Dr. said that I should go back to eating wheat right now and then
have my blood tested again.  She is also having me make an appt. with a
food allergist.

Oh, and one more thing.....she wants me to schedule an appt. to have a
flex. sig. test...where they enter through your rear without giving you
sedatives....must be like a "mini" colonscopy?  I don't know.

What do you guys think?  I'm sitting here, a pile of nerves.  I just
feel like crying.  I've had some Wheat Thin crackers on and off this
last week.....no real noticeable changes.  I haven't eaten any wheat
bread yet though, I'm scared.

Thanks for your advice.  I'd appreciate some feedback, any, opinions of
what you think.

Thank you so much!

Tami
Hoquiam, WA