From:
Elaine & Calin Rovinescu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elaine & Calin Rovinescu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 12:44:05 -0500

To all,
I wrote to the manufacturer  about two ingredients  in a mini
cheesecake
produced by a company called Best Little Baker which states it is
gluten
free; one being modified food starch and the other grain dextrin. The
company stated they used a tapioca starch and that there was
proprietary
information about the dextrin, but even if it was from wheat the
product
would still be considered gluten free. To the best of my knowledge this
is not the case. Are there any laws in the US or Canada about making
such statements?
I enclosed the responses I received from the company.
Any feedback?
Elaine (Montreal)

Elaine,
Thank you for contacting us in regards to our Best Little Baker
Cheesecake.
I have checked with our QC department and have the following
information for
you.  I hope this answers your question.

The food starch we use is a Tapioca Starch.
This is an excerpt from the web site provided by fruitrim. The source
of the
dextrin's is proprietary information. The product is gluten free.
Gluten is
the protein in the wheat. Even if the dextrin's were from wheat, they
could
still be gluten free.
CONSUMER FRIENDLY LABEL

.ALL NATURAL, GRAS & GMO-FREE
FRUITRIMR is a patented, all-natural ingredient; it contains no
artificial
ingredients, additives or preservatives.  It is GMO-free and GRAS.
FRUITRIMR is also fat-free, "made from real fruit juice" and has no
laxative
side effects.

.NON-ALLERGENIC, KOSHER & VEGAN
FRUITRIMR is gluten-free and contains no MSG or corn.  FRUITRIMR is
Kosher
and Pareve under supervision of the Orthodox Union.  Since FRUITRIMR
contains no animal products, it is also a vegan food.

-----------------
This is the definition of dextrin as per Miriam Webster. Gluten is a
protein. They can extract the dextrin from wheat without touching the
gluten.
Main Entry: dex.trin
Pronunciation: 'dek-str&n
Variant(s): also dex.trine  /-"strEn, -str&n/
Function: noun
Etymology: French dextrine, from dextr-
Date: 1838
: any of various water-soluble gummy polysaccharides (C6H10O5)n
obtained
from starch by the action of heat, acids, or enzymes and used as
adhesives,
as sizes for paper and textiles, as thickening agents (as in syrups),
and in
beer

        RE: Strawberry Cheesecake- Ingredients