From:
Caulene Bussard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caulene Bussard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 07:47:47 -0500

I got a lot of answers to my question about the cause of my lower left
abdominal pain.  Here is a very brief summary. Many thanks to all of
you.  I can not include all the details that everyone sent me, but will try
to summarize the general ideas.

Suggestions as to further investigations:
-get an abdominal ultrasound.
-get a urine test
-blood test for white cell count

Possible diagnosis, based on the experiences of others:

The suggestion given the most often was that it is from diverticulitis -
inflamation of small pockets formed on the colon.  this can cause
fever, and pain.  Treatment includes antiobiotics, a bland diet which
excludes seeds, nuts, strawberries, cucumbers.  One suggested
taking fish oil and enzymes and probiotics.  Another suggested
surgery to remove the affected part, as inflamation may well reoccur.

Other possible theories:

-from spine -  osteoarthritis?
-possible gluten ingestion? Abdominal massage recommended.
-kidney stones
-appendicitis
-gall bladder inflamation
-ovary or spleen inflamation.One had a benign ovarian tumor, another
a cyst which had ruptured.
-urinary tract inflamation
-abdominal spasms - like an abdominal migraine.  Perhaps caused
by prior damage by gluten.
-IBS
-endomestriosis/ adhesians
Crohns disease
-jejunitis
- a reaction to the colonoscopy?

My situation is that I have had all the suggested tests.  The pain eased
when I took antibiotics.  One doctor thinks it might have been infected
diverticuli, but another feels certain it was in the area of the ovaries,
though the gynecological exam found nothing there.  If it reoccurs, the
doctor suggests an abdominal CT scan.  The ultrasound found
nothing and the colonoscopy was also clear, except small diverticuli
were found.

Thank you all for your kind interest and helpful suggestions.
Caulene