From:
"Karen M. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 22:33:06 -0700

Bill Elkus writes:

> Sue Goldstein asked about Isomil for a newborn in a family with known Celiac.
> I have two points to offer:
>
> 1) Prosobee is another infant formula, and unlike Isomil, it is dairy free.
> Prosobee is more easily tolerated by my 8 year old Celiac son, who is also
> allergic to casein and cannot digest lactose.  The customer service dept for
> the company which makes Prosobee appeared very knowledge and strongly asserted
> it was totally GF.

Excuse me. I have a can of Isomil in front of me. It is kosher, pareve,
and the front label states clearly "MILK FREE, LACTOSE FREE" - Soy
Formula with Iron. Maybe you're thinking of Enfamil? (Ross Pediatrics'
milk-based formula). It is corn syrup solids, sucrose, soy protein
isolate, corn oil, coconut oil, soy oil, and a bunch of vitamins and
minerals.

I will, however, second that Prosobee seems to be more easily tolerated.
Erin gave us back the Isomil when she was small; when we switched to
Prosobee the problem ceased. She also does well with Nursoy (another soy
formula).

I use whatever soy formula is open when I do my baking, and have had no
trouble with any of the major 3 soy brands (Isomil, Prosobee, Nursoy).

[snip of HLA discussion]

karen

[log in to unmask]   (if urgent, use [log in to unmask] - the better half)
Karen Davis of Davis and Associates (818)892-8555
           "Pain is Mother Nature's way of telling us to slow down;
                       Death is her way of INSISTING!"