From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2011 23:50:33 -0400

We're going sailing on our boat for two  weeks, and I always try to cook and freeze parts of meals or ingredients before hand.      If you sail or have an RV, with a limited (tiny) frig (like the kind kids have in dorm rooms) and ice chest sort of freezer,  I'm open to ideas.

I usually cook and freeze chicken and dice it up into cubes before freezing, and cook and freeze small portions of ground beef with onions.  They can be used in a variety of meals.

But I used to use instant rice a lot when I sailed, and that's horrible for diabetes.  So are plain white potatoes.   When my kids were babies, I made veggies and mashed them and froze them as ice cubes.  I may do that with sweet potatoes and squash...to defrost along the trip.

We usually have hardboiled eggs, cheese, packets of tuna, nuts and fruit for lunch and snacks.  (Easy to handle, while we're doing the sailing.)

For breakfast, my husband can have his dry cereal (and I'll have those flax/sorghum/oat muffins that I posted to the listserv last week.)  But dinners....especially since we get together with the other boaters on the trip, that's the tricky part.  I also need simple hors d'oerves....not chips and dip, for when the group of boaters get together at night.

Yes, I have a stove, but I'm not one to do major cooking on the boat. I think I've used the oven twice in 16 years.  And I don't like heating up the boat.  So my cooking is minimal.  When we're at a marina and I can plug in to electricity, I use the microwave.

Any ideas?  I don't like prepackaged meals. They're very high in salt. With the new diagnosis of diabetes, on top of celiac (which I've had forever),  I'm trying to come up with things that are low-glycemic, as well.....so no potato chips, no sugar.  And one more restriction.  We're kosher, so I can't mix dairy with meat.