From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2011 11:38:39 -0500

I'll say it out loud, as Tricia sort of did anyway. NO detectable gluten is unobtainable and, if set as the standard for gluten free (which I can't imagine would ever happen anyway), would result in complete chaos in the GF industry and probably many GF things not being declared GF.

Think of this -- we might wish for zero bug parts or rodent hairs per million in our processed food, but it doesn't happen and it isn't required by the FDA because the FDA knows it's impossible. You probably eat bug parts every day. In fact, Ohio University estimates we eat one to two pounds of insects every year without knowing it.

Richard