From:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 23:39:11 -0400

On top of this I need to carry an OTC eye gel per doctor's orders  that I
need to use every hour while flying. If I don't my eyes get so dry that I
get corneal abrasions.

Carry the yogurt machine! Just buy milk wherever you are!... The old yogurt
machine I have is pretty small.

I just flew in yesterday from London.  They (U.S. and U.K.) absolutely will
not allow any type of liquid, including yogurt.  I would strongly recommend
a doctor's prescription and then bringing "solid" substances.  The first few
days of the restrictions from London, they wouldn't even allow "solid"
foods.

I was astounded at your post...it sounds just like me.  I am totally
dependent on goat yogurt...and other SCD diet food.....I have lost heart and
stopped traveling.    (How did your friend keep yogurt cold?  In cooler?).
I anxiously await posts on this subject...perhaps it will give me my courage
back.

Well, I have quit carrying most foods except for what I would have to go to
specialty stores for, like bread, crackers, muffins  I have been known to
take cooking utensils (putting silverware in the checked luggage).

~ We also do this when we travel; I carry an electric frying pan, a
multicooker (that will boil vegetables), a little bottle of dish liquid and
a scotchbrite scrubber and a small bottle of olive oil.  We order a room
with a refrigerator and we carry sthis stuff in a black dufflebag.  We carry
some cooked food and then go shopping the first night at a nearby
supermarket for supplies and foam plates ~ Paula.

I would suggest using a leak proof container in a well packed styrofoam box
marked  fragile and checking it in your bags. Take only what you will eat
prior to boarding with a doctors prescription so you can get past the
pre-board checkpoint.

More food suggestions:

Raisins or other dried fruit

Candy...like M&M's. (Something that doesn't melt and get squishy.)

Sealed packets of tuna fish with a plastic fork or spoon...if they'll

            allow it. That's not really a gel, but it comes in a similar
container.

Fresh fruit...but not if you're going to another country. Some countries

            are real sticklers about that.

Peanut Butter...but the small squeeze tubes (3 tbs) have been discontinued
by Skippy.  If they allow tubes of peanut butter in the future, I'll bring
the regular size.

The planes are bound to run out of water now that we can't bring any on
board. I try to drink a lot on our cross-country flights. Guess I'll have to

gorge myself before boarding. I also try to eat a meal at the airport...no
matter what time it is. I get there more than 3 hours ahead of time, so I

check in and find a place to eat...and we've been doing that since way
before 9/11. The only problem with coming that early is I find that my

luggage often ends up on an earlier flight than mine, which means hunting
for it at the next airport....not a good thing. So much for the rule that

they won't take off if every piece of luggage in the hold isn't matched to a
passenger!

I do separate everything into clear plastic baggies....even my underwear.
You know all of it will be handled and examined, so I pack things as
transparent as possible. I'll use a transparent backpack as my
carry-on...just to make things easier, although I hate to have everyone see
all the food I bring.

One last warning. I found that in traveling through Australia and New
Zealand with a celiac group, my having a Medic Alert bracelet with Celiac &

Gluten diet on it really helped us get through customs at one point, because
we were all traveling with hoards of food and customs challenged us on

everything. So I would get a note from my doctor before I travel that I need
to carry my own gluten-free foods with me.

One person emailed the TSA and just got the regulations repeated without any
creative applications or help.

Thanks to all of you!

Paula in Pa.

*******