From:
Sarah LeTard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sarah LeTard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:25:29 -0700

I have gathered up the replies to my question about GF Coffee shop foods, and I will also fwd my summary to the coffee shop owner as well.  I received several suggestions regarding homemade items (mmmm), but I am omitting those simply because the shop owner does not have a kitchen, and I (or anyone I know) does not have a certified commercial kitchen and the time/$$/energy to go into that business.

Answers:

Contact a GF Bakery in the area and buy some frozen slices of coffee cake,
donuts, brownies, etc.  All freeze well, and he could defrost it in the
microwave and serve it as needed.  The shelf life would be irrelevant.  It
would not be fresh, but celiacs are notorious for not being that picky as
long as they can get 'something'.  Lara Bars or Boomi Bars might be an
alternative as they have a long shelf life as do some of the Cliff Bars.

Glutino have wafer cookies that are really nice: you can buy them at the
supermarket or a health store, and they have a couple of flavours. You
wouldn't know they are gluten free if you just ate one. The two flavours I
have tried are chocolate and lemon.

I am e-mailing in regards to a request for GF suggestions to go in a small =
local coffee shop. I recently had the best GF Choc. Chip cookie at a coffee=
shop in Rehoboth, DE. They are called Sweet Christine's Gluten Free Confec=
tions. She also makes brownies, other kinds of cookies and cupcakes. Soooo =
good and goes perfect with coffee! : )
Her website is www.sweetchristinesglutenfree.com.

THe "OK" brownie.  They are made on Grand Island, NY.
They taste good and they are packaged in single packs.  They serve them at Disney World.

How about biscotti from Pamela's products?  They come individually wrapped & would be dunkable, an option at a coffee shop... They come in 3 flavors...Shop could start w/ a box of each & see which ones sell the best. No cross contamination worry...

I was thinking perhaps Pamela's biscotti -- they come in chocolate walnut and lemon almond and both are great! They are even individually packaged and shelf-stable. I think 6 come in a package. I can get them at my local health food store. Also Pamela cookies are great.
If the place has freezer space (which it may not) Kinnikinnick (sp?) makes frozen muffins (carrot and blueberry for sure) and those could be rebagged and taken out of the freezer each day.

Maybe they could buy a couple boxes of GF cereal bars or something to offer people. The bars are individually wrapped, so they'd stay "safe" no matter what. My personal fave is "EnviroKidz Organic Crispy Rice Bars" They have different flavors. There's other kinds of breakfast bars & stuff too.

What about cookies? I always bake my own but the ones my DIL bought at Natural Foods were very good, soft and tasted great.  A package would be enough for several people. If they were well sealed they would last for several days.
(The sender sent another note saying they meant Whole Foods)

Some breakfasts offer fruit and maybe cheese.

Pamela's Brand cookies are available in two cookie packages and I think they are quite good.

The Tully's Coffee shop where I live carries the Wow cookies/brownies.  They are GF and DELICIOUS.  You can find their website at http://www.wowbaking.com/

I really like Lara bars! Another thought I have is Nana giant cookies or cookie bars.  They're gluten free, too, and come individually packaged.  They come in chocolate, vanilla, berry, and they're great with coffee!

dried fruit, nuts, gf popcorn, chips (terra are a nice brand and I like the "beets and sweets" version)

You might try www.madwomanfoods.com They are in Minneapolis, MN, and make really great tasting tea cakes. They are gluten free casein free, and are just deliciuos. They are prepackaged, and can be stored in the refrigerator. They are healthy too. I'm not sure if they ship to your area, but you can check the website.

Tell your local coffee shop to contact Mr. Ritt's bakery in Philadelphia, PA  at www.MRRITTS.com or go to that web site... my husband, who is non celiac and I fight over the peanut butter cookies..he just brought me home some choc chip cookies and cinnamon biscotti last night ! i haven't had a decent choc chip cookie since being diagnosed 20 yrs ago !

GF Biscotti. Pamela and another company makes them.  They come in a hard
cardboard box and have a long shelf life.

I use the indiviually packaged grits.  They just require the addition of boiling water.  RC

You can order Trix cereal in individual servings.

Sarah Le Tard
find, and ye shall seek