From:
Vickie Puffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:38:46 EST

Thanks to all who responded to my query about "safe" Chinese restaurant food.
The info is summarized below.  BTW, I enjoyed the dinner with my department
and had tea, Chinese vegetable soup, chicken almond ding, and something with
veggies and shrimp.  And no gluten reaction!

SUMMARY

White/clear sauces can probably be considered "safe," although you should
verify the use of cornstarch, not wheat, as a thickener (I called ahead).
Brown sauces indicate the use of soy sauce which may not be GF.

You might bring your own bottle of GF soy or tamari sauce.  Some restaurants
will prepare your dish with your sauce.  Or have the dish prepared without
sauce and add your own at the table.

For highly sensitive persons, ask that your food be prepared in a clean wok or
pan to avoid contamination from previously prepared food.

Dishes that are GF, or can be prepared that way:  Moo Goo Gai Pan, Mongolian
Beef, Pepper Steak, Beef with Broccoli, Yui Shan Beef, Snow Peas and Beef,
Almond Chicken, Moo-Shu Vegetables, white rice, rice noodles, egg drop soup,
stir-fried veggies, and more

No-nos include:  fortune cookies, egg rolls, won ton, crispy noodles,
deep-fried or marinated anything, dumplings, anything "wrapped," surimi (fake
crab)

Questionable:  monosodium glutamate (MSG)